Explorer Sport - boots deteriorated on ball joints

I have a 2001 Explorer Sport (i.e., the 2-door version). I took the vehicle to the dealership this weekend for some recall work, and the mechanics showed me the boots on the ball joints -all 4 are totally deteriorated. The vehicle only has 24K miles on it, so the problem is aging. Despite the boots being shot, the ball joints are fine.

I don't want to spend the quoted $800 for replacing all four ball joints and an additional $100 for an alignment. Is there some way to replace the boots without having to disassemble/replace the ball joints? If I have to bite the bullet and replace all the ball joints, is there a brand out there that will last longer than the 7 years that the Ford versions lasted?

Reply to
Jean

Depending on just how bad they are I would probably try and slather silicone seal or something similar on whatever remains of the boots.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

I needed to replace the CV joint boots on an older Ford Taurus and found split boots for sale through JC Whitney. They come with grease, clamps, and glue and you assemble them around the joint without having to pull the axle. Really not hard at all and they lasted for many years until the car got wrecked.

=Vic= Bear Gap, PA

Reply to
Vic Klein

Thanks for the info - the slit boots sound like a workable plan. Do you have to disassemble anything on the vehicle to install these?

| > I don't want to spend the quoted $800 for replacing all four ball joints | > and an additional $100 for an alignment. Is there some way to replace the | > boots without having to disassemble/replace the ball joints? If I have to | > bite the bullet and replace all the ball joints, is there a brand out | > there | > that will last longer than the 7 years that the Ford versions lasted? | >

| |

Reply to
Jean

| >I don't want to spend the quoted $800 for replacing all four ball joints | >and an additional $100 for an alignment. Is there some way to replace the | >boots without having to disassemble/replace the ball joints? If I have to | >bite the bullet and replace all the ball joints, is there a brand out there | >that will last longer than the 7 years that the Ford versions lasted? | | | Depending on just how bad they are I would probably try and slather | silicone seal or something similar on whatever remains of the boots.

Unfortunately, the boots are pretty shot ...it looked like chunks of rubber were missing.

Reply to
Jean

All the boots do is keep dirt and water out and the grease in. You could put a baggie on if you wanted a really low buck solution.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Nothing to disassemble on the Taurus we did, just remove the old boot and clamps. It went pretty easily and the replacement split boots lasted for years afterwards.

=Vic=

Reply to
Vic Klein

I've searched the net and contacted a couple auto stores - no one has any split boots for the ball joints. Given a little cutting and customization, would the split boot for the cv joint work for the ball joint as well?

Jean

| |

Reply to
Jean

the CV joint boots I've seen a huge compared to the side of typical ball joint boots. I think you can buy new, generic ball joint boots. You could cut them along one side and slip them over and glue it back together with weather strip cement. just don't get grease on the mating surface. Unlike cv joints, there are no large forces on the ball joint boots so a decent glue joint should hold. I'm guessing your ball joints are not greasable so you won't have grease pressure from a lube job splitting the seam open.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

But I can't find a source (internet or local) that has generic ball joint boots ....that's the problem. So I'll have to come up with a kluge.

Jean

| >Jean | >

| >| | >|

Reply to
Jean

has ones for chevies.

and this place

has some for fords and other cars

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Many years ago, tie rod and ball joint boots were available separately... If you check with aftermarket suppliers.... Moog, TRW, McQuay-Norris.... you may get lucky but I wouldn't hold my breath.

If worse comes to worst... simply allow the ball joints to finish out whatever life span they may have left.... As long as the joints aren't worn to the point of being unsafe... as long as they aren't stiff to the point of no returnabilty... there is no concern that needs to be dealt with today.

I will suggest putting money aside for the repair that you know is coming.... but, unless there is a safety concern, I wouldn't get into a panic....

Reply to
<mechanic

Your advice pretty much echoes what my brother told me. My only concern is that I'd like to prolong the life of the joints, if I can do it fairly cheaply. If I can't do it for a few dollars, I'll just do as you say. Thanks.

Jean

| > I don't want to spend the quoted $800 for replacing all four ball joints | > and an additional $100 for an alignment. Is there some way to replace the | > boots without having to disassemble/replace the ball joints? If I have to | > bite the bullet and replace all the ball joints, is there a brand out | > there | > that will last longer than the 7 years that the Ford versions lasted? | >

| |

Reply to
Jean

Thanks for the links - I'll check them out!

Jean

| >Jean | >

Reply to
Jean