BALL JOINTS - '96 Ford Explorer Sport 4x4

Just like the subject says, I need to replace the ball joints on my wife's Explorer. The Haynes manual says they are not replaceable on the upper or lower control arms, but I don't take their word on everything.

I have a friend with a very well-equipped shop, air tools to include impact gun w/impact sockets, a lift, 12-ton press, etc. We have the equipment, and the experience, so that isn't a factor.

Anyone ever do this on the vehicle in question? If so, I would appreciate any suggestions on what you came across, how long it took, and if you replaced the entire control arm or just the ball joint.

Thanks in advance!

Reply to
Mike Atco