vehicle shaking

while driving home going about 50 the front end started to shake it's a brand new 2006 ford explorer with about 3000 miles on it and we haven't even had to get the first oil change cause it's not due till 5000 miles. what could be the reason for this? oh and it was only happening while going slow, slowing down or idleing.

Reply to
RedWings12

50 is going slow?

Was the car or the engine shaking? If it was the car at 50 mph then I'd get the tires rebalanced and see if it goes away.

Reply to
Ulysses

Reply to
Big Shoe

On the highway? Ya, annoyingly slow!

Reply to
351CJ

Instability is a condition we should never be lax about.... my first inclination would be to avoid driving and get the vehicle into the dealer.... Neither of us really knows how complete the predelivery process was (part of the PDI is to verify that steering and suspension fasteners are present and appear tight). In mass production, things can and will go awry.....

Reply to
Jim Warman

He says it happens while idleing. That sounds like an engine problem. Mine has done this a couple of times in the last 6 months- run very rough. Maybe the idle air control?

-Paul

Jim Warman wrote:

Reply to
carbide

Well, let's see....."while driving home going about 50 the front end started to shake "...... sounds like a stability problem to me.

FWIW..... someone might suggest an IAC concern.... the "victim" might repeat this to the service advisor who (in most cases) has little automotive experience. The tech gets an RO stating "check IAC operation" and, in all likelihood, it's function will be normal. The tech will scribble "NPF" on the back of the RO feeling safe in the knowledge that he will probably NOT GET PAID for this abject waste of time.

Since the shaking originally started at 50 miles per hour, the safety of the vehicle is called into question (spend some time thinking about the term "safety"). Any time that the safety of a vehicle is called into question, we owe it to ourselves, our loved ones and any innocents that may be involved. We don't brush this subject aside.

Until this motorist is sure about the cause, he/she should be very cautious. And you need to brush up - the 06 Explorer has "fly by wire" throttle control... there is no IAC and, if a concern is detected with the Electronic Throttle Body, the engine will go into one of several different "limp" strategies and illuminate the "wrench" light on the instrument cluster.

There are many instances where my answers are nothing more than an educated guess.... none of my "guesses" have the opportunity to kill anyone....

Reply to
Jim Warman

================================================= whoops I better got this reply on the bottom.......

I love reading your messages, Jim Warman. Always good reading with thoughtful input. Really. Sometimes a little humor too.. Regards, Bill Varian

2000 Explorer Limited V-8 AWD
Reply to
Fathergoose