vibrations

Hi All,

Patient: Ford Explorer Sport 1999, 4.0L, 6V, 4X4. 120K miles. Sumptom: Vibrations, the car vibrates while driving to a degree that I can hear tire iron ringing in the trunk, the mirror vibrates, the whole damn car vibrates... It feels like it will fall apart in a moment. The cause seems to be somewhere in the front end of the car.

Things were done in order to fix it but it didn't help:

- both ball joints replaced

- front drive shaft replaced

- front transfer case replaced

- allignment done to the perfection

- new tires with rimms , balanced

My mechanic, goes crazy over it and me too.

Any ideas? Thanks a lot!

Reply to
CanusLupus

Shocks?

Reply to
C. E. White

checked - not this.

any other ideas?

Reply to
CanusLupus

Sounds like you are trying things hoping something will work. Maybe time to get another opinion. The only time I had this problem was with a 1992 and it was caused by Firestone tires. It drove me crazy for a long time before I figured that out. It would suddenly start shaking like the front end was falling apart. The Firestone store here replaced the tires twice with no improvement. I then changed to Michelin and never had the problem again. In other words, even though you replaced the tires, there is a possibility that they are causing the problem.

Reply to
Big_Shoe

Hmmm... I could have said the same thing, just about word for word (cept it's a '91).

Reply to
Ulysses

I think all of us who had the early Expl with the Firestones could say the same. And it continues to this day. One of my work cars had no "shakes" at all, it shouldn't have, it was practically new. Then at about 20K the shop put Firestone tires on it. Now it shakes. One of our Vans had the Goodyear's replaced with Firestones (load range E). In less then 6 months two of them blew out for no apparent reason. Never had a single blowout in prior 2 years with the Goodyear's. anyone who knowingly buys firestones is nutz.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

I had those Firestones on my 92. All the balancing wouldn't make a difference. A friend suggested they might be out of round. Jack up the front and rotate a front wheel by hand and use a simple guage to see if that is the problem.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

tires can't be the problem because they were replaced. Original tires Wrangler, now I have Michelin and the shaking didn't stop.

Reply to
CanusLupus

If you do a light brake application while it's shaking does that calm it down any? What about the shock absorbers, how old are they? Wheel bearings? Are you sure the rear drive shaft is ok? Does this have "auto 4x4" and if so can you turn it to "completely off" and see if anything changes?

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

shaking doesn't change in any way while braking. Shocks are relatively old but according to the mechanic they're fine. The rear drive shaft was checked and it's fine. Wheel bearings? This one I don't know if it was checked, it may be the next step. In the mean time I called my old mechanic, from before I moved here, and scheduled appointment. Also, I found an article online about Explorer rollovers - pretty scary!

Thanks for all input. Still waiting for another suggestions.

Reply to
CanusLupus

My '94 shook like an old lady with gas on the Firestones. Replaced with Dunlop radial rovers- NO improvement. Replaced the Dunlops with Michelin and it's been smooth ever since NO shake at all. The way I troubleshot it was begged my friendly Ford dealer to slap on the wheels and tires from a new Explorer for a test drive.

Reply to
Bob

Thank you very much Everybody! I got rid of my Exploder because mechanics couldn't figure out what was causing the vibrations and the car was simply old. I've got Astra now, 2008 and I don't expect to have any issues with it for next some time.

Thanks again, Pavel

Reply to
CanusLupus