2002 Isuzu Frontera - Vibrations

I own a 2002 Isuzu 3.2L (petrol) Frontera (Holden Frontera in Australia)

Last December after driving over some corrugated dirt roads the vehicle started vibrating badly over 80kph (45mph). I didn?t worry about it at the time as I planned to purchase new tyres in January and thought the wheel balance/alignment would fix it.

Now I have four brand new tyres and the vibration. I took the vehicle to a different tyre dealer to have the wheel balance checked. Turned out each tyre was 40 grams out. This made a minor reduction in the vibrations.

I have no faith in my local Holden dealership (previous bad experience with different vehicle) so I took the vehicle to an independent mechanic. He advised there was some play in the front wheel hubs and as the vehicle is still under manufactures warranty I should get the local dealership to look at it.

Has anybody experience this type sort of problem? Does anyone have any suggestion as to the cause?

Reply to
David Pinkerton

"nospam189" wrote: > I own a 2002 Isuzu 3.2L (petrol) Frontera (Holden Frontera in > Australia) > > Last December after driving over some corrugated dirt roads > the vehicle > started vibrating badly over 80kph (45mph). I didn?t worry > about it at > the time as I planned to purchase new tyres in January and > thought the > wheel balance/alignment would fix it. > > Now I have four brand new tyres and the vibration. I took the > vehicle > to a different tyre dealer to have the wheel balance checked. > Turned > out each tyre was 40 grams out. This made a minor reduction > in the > vibrations. > > I have no faith in my local Holden dealership (previous bad > experience > with different vehicle) so I took the vehicle to an > independent > mechanic. He advised there was some play in the front wheel > hubs and as > the vehicle is still under manufactures warranty I should get > the local > dealership to look at it. > > Has anybody experience this type sort of problem? > Does anyone have any suggestion as to the cause?

I can just about guarantee that you have a problem with your tyres in one way or another. A wheel balance can only do so much when it comes to tyres that are either egg shaped, running out of true or bad balanced tyres.

If your tyres have just been replaced then maybe unluckily or coincidently you?ve picked up another bad one. Or maybe you?ve done damage to a rim or buckled it in some way which maybe also be creating the problem.

If it was a problem with your steering joints it would be there all the time and slowly get worse as you go faster and your steering wheel would probably feel like it is shaking from side to side. Where as with a balance problem you will find that it normally occurs at a certain speed and might get better or worse as you change your speed.

I used to have a car that used to vibrate profusely at 80 kms/h but below 70 and above 90 it was okay.

You can easily have your steering joints checked at any suspension place. But I?m sure that if there was any problem with your joints they would not of been able to do a wheel alignment on it because they would have found excessive play in the joints.

Hope that his helps you. Cheers, Bigant (Qld)

Reply to
bigant916

I'm not the OP but I found this a very informative post. Thanks!

Ray

Reply to
Ray Laughton

Follow up -

I picked the frontera up from the dealership today - vibration is GONE!!!

Turned out the torsion bars where rubbing on the rubber stoppers - they adjusted the clearance, did a wheel alignment and all is well.

Thanks for your input.

David

Reply to
David