Vibrations in Steering wheel.

About 2 months ago i ran up a curb and blew out a tire. I got new tires put on and i felt no vibrations what so ever. A week ago i put on low profile tires and went up from 15? inch rim to 17? rim. Ever sense i put those tires and rims on ive been getting steering wheel vibrations over 40 mph and it get worse as i increase my speed. Also when i break going down a hill or at higher speeds i get a wheel vibrations... It feels like its coming from the front of the car. But i am not sure

I recently got a wheel balance thinking that was the problem but nothing has changed.

Reply to
Cameron502

I would check your brake pads, I had this same issues with my car and the Rotor was warped. Changed out Rotors and pads and all was allot better.

-Branden

Reply to
Branden Nelsen

Did you put spacers on to fit those wheels?My car really doesnt like spacers. Try refitting your old wheels and if you still get the vibration then it has to be wheel balance or a tyre out of round....

Steve

--

1985 M535i
Reply to

If it was OK before, but then you got the vibration after fitting the wheels and tyres, then it is the wheels and tyres that are causing the problem. Sounds like a balancing problem.

Where the wheels and tyres new?

Spin the wheels and tyres up. Are the tyres distorted/flat spotted? Are the wheel's buckled/warped? Are the tyres on the beads properly? Are the wheel bolts tight? Most importantly, were they balanced properly (I have experienced some real idiotic balancing in my time)?

You never mentioned the model. What is it? What wheels and tyres are fitted?

Reply to
Don

I just had similar problems. My lower suspension arms were worn. Dad them changed. Cured the problem.

Reply to
william Ako

Before spending the money to change your lower suspension arms, I would make sure the wheels are properly balanced and the tires are true. Then if that is not the problem, you can have "Dad" check the suspension to see if anything is worn. Good Luck!

Reply to
bfd

Very low profile? Cheap make? Balanced on the car? Wheelbearings OK?

It never ceases to amaze me how people will take a meticulously designed car and make aftermarket modifications that make it worse.

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton

check your tie rod ends and ball joints but steering wheel shimmys during braking usually are warped rotors. have an alignment done because ur new wheels may upset the cars natural setings

Reply to
varan

swap your front wheels and tires with your rear ones and see if it goes away. may be a bent wheel, or an out of round tire.

Camer> About 2 months ago i ran up a curb and blew out a tire. I got new

Reply to
Tom

It sounds like the guy who installed your new wheels may have let his impact driver bang a couple of times too many on one of your front wheels and warped your hub. That's the only explanation that fits with this condition emerging coincident with the new wheels.

Reply to
Jack

This happened (exact symptoms) to my 2001 330 ci. The right front wheel bolts had come loose! I can't imagine why but they did. Worth a check.

Reply to
sgfan3

none of your replys have mentioned your tracking will be out if you mounted a kerb only cost about a tenna to fix free if its ok

Reply to
davew555