What could cause a flex plate to brake?!?!

I'm hoping someone out there can help me on this on. So far this problem has cost me almost $2000 and it looks like another grand is just around the corner. I have a '94 XLT with the 4.0L V6, 2WD and auto trans. The truck has about 120K on it and most everything is in really good shape.

Except the flexplate (maybe some call it a flywheel). I am hearing a chirping noise again from a indeterminate location. The last two times this happened, it turned out to be a precursor to the flexplate breaking. I have had the flexplate replaced twice now at roughly 15 to 18 month intervals and it's month 16 since the last one. To make matters more interesting, I was searching through the papers the previous owner gave me when I bought the truck and I found some that indicate he had this same work done at about 35K miles.

Before I dump more money into this vehicle (which I like a lot except for this problem), I was hoping that someone could offer some suggestions as to what might cause this to keep recurring. The last time my mechanic replaced the flexplate, he also replaced the torque converter because the pilot bushing was slightly larger than the high tolerance. He thought that may have contributed to the failure. I guess that wasn't it.

I don't mind paying to fix something, but I don't expect to have to keep fixing it very year and a half!

Thanks in advance,

Larry

Reply to
LCC