'03 Mazba B2300 steering becomes unstable hitting minor irregularities, ie: manhole covers.

'03 Mazda B2300 pickup same frame as Ford Ranger. Has only 19,000 miles. Driven sparely by 92 yr old father to stores, doctor, once/twice from FL to NC. No rough off road wear. Hitting minor raises in pavement, manhole covers, RR crossings, etc., triggers quick lateral instability in steering, almost a shimmy, until weight returns to front end as bounce stabilizes. Snaps steering wheel feedback to hands a bit on return of weight. Reminds me of a bad vibration dampener on Volkswagen Beetles. Worrying in intensity. Very short duration, but feels like rod ends must be taking a pounding to stabilize. Regular steering seems stable. Alignment and tracking feel good. Took to Pep Boys for diagnostic, checked tie rods, ball joints, rack, struts, etc., (hopefully). Reported all tight, no problem found. Cannot believe this is symptomatic to the small framed Pickup engineering. What should I test or replace or suspect was missed by Pep Boys? Is this a known common problem?

Reply to
Greybeard

Yes, taking a truck to a chain store where they are clueless is a common problem.

Try a competent mechanic, like those found at a good dealer or a good shop.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Sounds like a loose/premature worn front suspension part. Best to have someone competent look it over.

I noticed with mine (04), from day one, when I hit a "moderate" pot hole with the rear tire on one side only, it feels as if I'm getting pushed over suddenly to the side. It can be rather unearving really, but I think it is just normal handling of the truck. Could this be what you notice?

Reply to
JohnR66

Do you have the original size/type of tires? Are they inflated to the porper (Ford specified) pressure?

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Good call!

My father favored odd brands for price. These are Continental. I just replaced the rear pair during the summer due to sidewall split under heavy load. The front right has a distinct thump with rotation I was postponing to replace. I'll get on it. Did not think to equate with the bad bounce. I'll have to look up correct size, as I replaced rear with same as was on it without research. P225 70R15 100S. Replaced rear with Firestone Destination LE. Was on highway with luck getting anything prior to blowout. Any better choice, or is same OK?

Reply to
Greybeard