OT-IE question

What is the Internet Explorer setting that allows me to "view source" when looking at web pages? I use this function quite often when updating my websites, as it allows me access to the html code for the pages I need to edit, and it's quicker than finding my archived files. Normally when I select "view source" it opens the html code in Notepad. However, something got changed a few weeks ago on my home PC and now it will not open Notepad when I select "View Source." Maybe I inadvertently changed a setting, but don't know which one it is. Help menu was no help, I thought I'd ask here.

XP Home, IE version 6.0.

--

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Don't know how to set that either, but a (hopefully acceptable) alternative is to go:

Tools, Options, Programs and select Notepad.exe as the Default Html Editor. Then look at the source using File, "Edit with Notepad.exe" instead of View Source.

Dave Milne

btw, consider using Firefox - it has more tools for web developers built into it.

you could download TweakUI for XP

and set the View Source to something else, and back to Notepad.exe again if you want.

I'm assuming that Notepad.exe does exist and isn't damaged on your system.

alternative

Reply to
Dave Milne

Hmm, looks like that works. I don't know what i did to turn off View Source. My updates usually are just text updates, and I find it very simple to change the text in the html code using a word processor...been doing it like that for years anyway.

Thanks Dave!

alternative

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

I don't think you *can* do anything to turn off View Source. It's probably either a file corruption or a MS bug. Try running a disk check to be safe.

Dave Milne

It should have a table of file associations in there somewhere.

If something jumped the HTML editor, I would highly suspect a virus or browser hijacker program.

Mike

Dave Milne wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Matt- Open Internet Explorer, go to TOOLS, then INTERNET OPTIONS. Click on the "PROGRAMS" tab. First box down should read HTML EDITOR. It is a drop-down box. Click the small arrow on the right hand side of the box, select NOTEPAD.

HTH.

Carl

Reply to
Carl Saiyed

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Got that much, it wasn't working.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Matt Macchiarolo did pass the time by typing:

mebby.

DougW

Nope. It's working thru the "Edit with Notepad" command in the File menu. I don't have a virus but I haven't run a scan disk yet.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

strange, I can do a View Source for google.co.uk but not an Edit...

Dave Milne

thought firefox was linux only?!

SteveBrady

Firefox is part of the Mozilla project. Supports Windoze, minus the worms, malward, virii, etc. However, just to show that nothing is perfect, you can install a DirectX plugin and make either Firefox or Mozilla as unsafe as Exploder.

SteveBrady proclaimed:

Reply to
Lon

Works well on Windows. Nicer than Exploder as well, but not quite as quick. If you have a 1/2 decent machine, it will do just great.

Dave Milne

SteveBrady did pass the time by typing:

Nope, I use it.

Some sites have problems with it, but for the most part it's faster than IE and not vulerable to the IE exploits or browser hijacking.

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III