04 Explorer "Electronic throttle control" light illuminated

Hello all,

My wife owns a 2004 Explorer that just today showed a the electronic throttle control light. She also told me that it was hesitating (like it was about to stall) at stop lights and that she may have smelled something burning.

She stopped at work and when I got to her the light was gone, but as well all probably know that doesn't mean much.

Anybody have any advice short of going to Advanced Auto and pulling the code. Does this light even register as CEL?

Thanks, Chris

Reply to
musls333

Yes, these types of events will set a DTC in memory... Your auto parts "gurus" should have a real field day with it.

Many of the early "fly by wire" throttles did have some programming issues that were resolved by reflashing the PCM on affected units....You might find that a dealer visit (for Gds sake, use one of the good dealers) is likely going to be the wise choice until the aftermarket gains some familiarity with the system...

Reply to
Jim Warman

Thanks, Ill check it out. I'm thinking that within the last couple of years she has had a reflash, but I'm not certain.

Thanks for the help so far, more input is still appreciated.

Chris

Reply to
musls333

Any possibility that it may the throttle body that is botched up? I didn't have a chance to read the code this weekend but a buddy that works on Ford tells me that it probably is.

Thanks, Chris

Reply to
musls333