1988 Ford Festiva Clutch Problem, HELP!

I have a 1988 Ford Festiva 4 speed that has a problem when I release the clutch in first or second gear the car starts to engage yet when I fully release the clutch it JUMPS forward in a jerky up and down motion, (almost as if I am trying to take off in 4th gear), I drove the car for about 45 mins the other day and upon coming home I noticed it smelled like something was burning (I am assuming the clutch might be fried?).

I do know how to drive stick (35 yrs) yet I have never "burned out" a clutch, altho the car has 140,000 miles on it so maybe it is just "time" for a new clutch...

From what I have written and described does this sound like a bad clutch? To me it appears to be in need of a new clutch altho I am no mechanic, even tried the car in second gear (thinking maybe somethings wrong with first) second is just as bad though, jerky jumpy smells of something burning as you engage clutch.

This is an old car with a lot of miles, yet it still starts and (ran) fine till just recently with this clutch thing, I can't drive it anywhere for an estimate but will start to call around for estimates locally (Northwest Indiana), was hoping someone here who does know a bit about clutches and or repairs for such a vehicle could give me an idea of what it might cost me to get this done (so I have a ballpark to tell if these locall places are overcharging or even if the car is worth fixing).

1988 Ford Festiva, 4 speed front wheel drive (I am guessing they might have to remove the engine to get to the clutch?), replacement of clutch and labor etc ==== GUESTIMATE??????

Thanks for all help I will read the replies in the group here.

Bill :)

Reply to
Bill