1989 Crown Victoria Transmission Question

Hello, I have a 1989 Crown Victoria which has recently began to not catch or sync with its gears when it shifts. For example when I put the car into drive, from Park, and step on the gas the car acts as if it is in neutral for a few seconds and then syncs with the first gear, but as soon as the car is ready to shift into second gear the same thing happens. Also, the other day I needed to back the car up, shifted it into reverse and the car never caught, it only sat there while I continuned to slowly press the gas. So as of now it will not drive in reverse and the drive gears are constantly not catching. Also, I should say that this has been a slowly developing problem. It started out only slightly stalling before catching a gear and has built up to where it currently is. Any help or ideas would be very much appreciated.

Reply to
cotigchez

Is the fluid at the correct level and what condition is it in?

Reply to
Jim Warman

Reply to
cotigchez

Usually right where you checked it.

Reply to
F. H.

Be sure you checked it correctly. It should be warmed up and idling in Park.

Another thing you might check is the linkage from the throttle body down to the transmission. Ford used a plastic pop-in bushing and now is about the time it might fail. The linkage usually falls off the throttle lever causing odd shifting. There are actually two of them, one on each end of the kickdown linkage. It used to be a dealer part but I heard a rumor that some parts places carry them now. If you have a broken bushing and fix it quickly enough, minimal damage usually occurs.

If the linkage is OK, check the fluid again. It should be red and smell oily. If it smells burnt or is dark as if it is dirty, change it. You add fluid right down the dipstick tube. I bought a long and skinny funnel for it.

I hope this is helpful.

PoD

Reply to
Paul of Dayon

There's a strong likelihood that the Throttle Valve cable is loose, broken or misadjusted. The internal transmission pressure is determined by a Throttle Valve (TV) cable that connects to the throttle on the intake. The cable position is sensitive, and technically is supposed to be set by a technician with a pressure gauge.

CJB

Reply to
CJB

I have a 90 grand marquis and had the TV cable problem. I was told that that cable supplies the hydraulics to the tranny and if not correct you will burn the tranny out. I caught my problem in time and saved the tranny.

Reply to
searcher

it may also just be low on fluid.

Reply to