1990 Ford Escort GT - Power Steering Fluid Everywhere

I've had the car sitting for a few months now and when I moved it yesterday I noticed a small puddle on the floor underneath the steering rack. When I pulled it out of the garage and turned the steering wheel a bit I found a huge puddle on the driveway, where I first turned the wheel. I suppose I had a small leak and one of the hoses shit the bed when I put the p/s under load. Assuming the a hose failed from non-use. Now the car has no power steering.

I never worked on p/s before, so other than replace the hoses if they are bad and bleed the system, is there anything else I should do or look for? Does the rack and/or pump need to come out to inspect it for a blown seal or something?

Thanks!

Reply to
sleepdog

Well, you need to establish whether it's the rack or hose that's leaking.

Check the boots on the rack... I'd assume, from the volume you saw, it's a hose or seal

If there is seepage in the boots, I can recommend the Lucas PS additive. None other worked for me, and it did.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

The way you diagnose this is to have someone turn the sterring wheel while you look to see what leaks. Most likely it's the high pressure hose.

Reply to
scott21230

Hooray for me

Another project to add to the ever growing list...

Thanks!

Reply to
sleepdog

Does this mean that I was right about it being the high pressure hose?

Reply to
scott21230

Hell if I know I haven't looked at it yet, but I'll post the results of my analysis when I get to it, which should be right around...

Reply to
sleepdog