1992 FORD TEMPO 5 SPEED SHIFTING PROBLEM

MY FIANCE SAYS THAT HIS FORD TEMPO HAS BECOME VERY HARD TO SHIFT INTO GEARS... HE SAID HE WAS FINALLY ABLE TO SHIFT IT INTO FIRST AND THEN SECONG BUT THAT HE WASNT ABLE TO GO INTO ANY OTHER GEARS. HE THINKS ITS HIS TRANSMISSION... BUT I TOLD HIM I THINK IT COULD BE HIS SHIFTER IS GOING BAD. MY EX HAD A PROBLEM WITH HIS SHIFTER GOING BAD ON ONE OF HIS CARS WHERE THE SHIFTER BROKE AND IT WAS JUST LOSS AND WOULDNT POP INTO ANY GEARS. MY FIANCE SAID THAT ITS DOING ALMOST THE SAME THING...ITS LOSS AND WONT GO INTO ANY GEAR BUT FIRST AND SECOND. CAN ANYONE TELL ME IF THEY HAD A SIMULAR PROBLEM OR HAVE ANY IDEAS ON WHAT IT MIGHT BE??? THANK YOU, CARIDIOT

Reply to
CARIDIOT

It is possible the shifter got loss because of your sitting on it I would also say your handle is appropriate for your post.

Reply to
Al Bundy

First things first- check the oil level in the transaxle. While you are under there, look at the linkage from the shifter to the trans and see if any fasteners have come loose. Then let us know.

Reply to
Ted

does the clutch seem to be working correctly? does the pedal seem as high up as it should be. does it grind when trying to put it in gear? if so it very well could be the clutch not disengaging all the way. like low on fluid

Reply to
ShoeSaleman

The shifter on that car is cable operated I think. It sounds like its very possible that some part of the cable or linkage is broken.

CJB

Reply to
CJB

HE SAID HE WAS FINALLY ABLE TO SHIFT IT INTO FIRST AND THEN SECONG BUT THAT HE WASNT ABLE TO GO INTO ANY OTHER GEARS. HE THINKS ITS HIS TRANSMISSION... BUT I TOLD HIM I THINK IT COULD BE HIS SHIFTER IS GOING BAD. MY EX HAD A PROBLEM WITH HIS SHIFTER GOING BAD ON ONE OF HIS CARS WHERE THE SHIFTER BROKE AND IT WAS JUST LOSS AND WOULDNT POP INTO ANY GEARS. MY FIANCE SAID THAT ITS DOING ALMOST THE SAME THING...ITS LOSS AND WONT GO INTO ANY GEAR BUT FIRST AND SECOND. CAN ANYONE TELL ME IF THEY HAD A SIMULAR PROBLEM OR HAVE ANY IDEAS ON WHAT IT MIGHT BE??? THANK YOU, CARIDIOT

There is a nylon ball on the end of the shifter stick that tends to break, along with a bushing that it fits into. Remove the center console and shifter boot. There are a couple of bolts holding the stick into the shifter. There are other problems that develop with these shifters, but the ball and bushing are the most common. Check those first. Occasionally the bracket that the stick fits in to gets loose on the shaft requiring replacement of the shaft.The parts are available from the dealer. You might find good used parts, it's a cointoss.

Reply to
Tom Adkins

a common problem with tempos and escorts is that the support rod for the shifter desintegrates, causing the shifter rod attached to the support rod to become a mystery shifter. the support rod is bolted to the floor on one end, and bolted to the side of the transmission on the other. the shifter rod attachs to a pivot point on the transmission on one end, and to the bottom of the shifter handle on the other.

Reply to
d.laponte