1995 Ford Escort LX

I am having problems with my car overheating when idling but when in motion it is fine. Also when idled the car puts hot air out of the A/C but when going it is cold. Someone said it was the thermostat so I bought one but cant find it or find directions how to replace it. Can anyone help this aggrevated female. I don't want this to crack my block and it has been this way for a week and half.

Reply to
AuntWendy

Being a 1995, your car probably needs a thermostat just because it's 10 years old but, my money is on the cooling fan. Start the car and turn the AC on. The fan should run continuously. If not, there is a problem with the cooling fan system. Very likely a siezed motor. Try to spin it wuth your fingers, it should turn freely (Ignition off, of course!). I'm not sure where the cooling fan relay is on a 95 Escort, but I suspect it's in a box called the Constant Control Relay Module (CCRM)and not a separate part. Just a personal opinion, Don't drive the car until you fix the problem. The wide variations in temps, especially toward overheating, can cause long term engine damage. The cylinder head may not warp enough for the gasket to fail right now, but a few K miles down the road ???, etc.

Reply to
Tom Adkins

Only check that the fan is spinning freely when the engine is cold.

I know on my 1990 Escort the fan could go on with the ignition off if the engine was hot. In fact this was frequently the case after commuting home. I'd turn the car off and the fan would kick on because there was no more air flow keeping the engine temp down.

Not sure if that was by design or by age, but no matter if you can use this info to prevent any injuries to your fingers.

Reply to
sleepdog

Thank you so much for your help I do appreciate it. Where might I start to look for the CCRM and that should be a relay switch correct? Also where do I find the thermostat? Anymore help would help. Once I find them I can handle changing them it is just finding them. Thanks again!

Reply to
AuntWendy

Thank you very much for the care and concern I do appreciate it and will make sure I do just that..LOL.

Reply to
AuntWendy

Go to

and look at one of the stickys in the fourmsabout how to download the factory service manual.

Reply to
scott_z500

Thank you very much Scott for the link and the help big time thank you.

Reply to
AuntWendy