2.9 L Ford Ranger engine question

Hi I have an '87 Ranger with a 2.9 L V6, and it has a problem. One of the cylinders is eating spark plugs. The engine will start, but it runs really rough. So rough, that the whole truck shakes. When I took the plug out of the hole, it smelled a whole lot like gas, more so than the others. The center electrode is scuffed up pretty bad, and the side electrode is burned halfway back to the plug. Anybody have an idea why the plug would burn up in that one cylinder?

Thanks Tonyrama

Reply to
tonyrama

tonyrama opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

my GUESS is you have a fouled injector and it's running lean on that cylinder.

yeah.. you smelled gas but that's after the fact, when the plug was no longer firing the mix... pull the new plug after a few miles and see if it isnt snow white.

pull all the injectors and take them to NAPA, have them cleaned and flow tested... or just replace with some from a wreck.

check fuel pressure or replace FPR and do fuel filter change too.. and dont buy gas at low volume stations

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic