2001 Taurus SE

I'm looking to get one with 44K. I'll have it checked out, but I am wondering what problems are common in these and what to watch for. These seem like good cars for the money. John

Reply to
jriegle
2001 Taurus SE Group: alt.autos.ford Date: Fri, Apr 30, 2004, 2:12am (EDT+4) From: snipped-for-privacy@att.net (jriegle) I'm looking to get one with 44K. I'll have it checked out, but I am wondering what problems are common in these and what to watch for. These seem like good cars for the money. John
Reply to
Eric Toline

Well, with 30K+ on ours the only time it's seen the shop was for bad gas. So I really can't comment.

Reply to
Ralph E Lindberg

Reply to
jriegle
2001 Taurus SE Group: alt.autos.ford Date: Fri, Apr 30, 2004, 2:12am (EDT+4) From: snipped-for-privacy@att.net (jriegle) I'm looking to get one with 44K. I'll have it checked out, but I am wondering what problems are common in these and what to watch for. These seem like good cars for the money. John=A0
Reply to
Eric Toline

The biggest issue has been the brake light switch. It's a weird design, and melting grease on pivots above it melts and runs into the switch. That causes it to arc internally and melt. The brake lights then end up permanently on or off. If they don't turn on, you may be unable to shift out of park since it also controls the shifter safety interlock. There was a recall about a month or so ago that covered all 2000-2003 or 2004 models. Before that, 2000's and I think some 2001's with adjustable pedals had a recall for the same thing. The one in my 2000 Sable (with adjustable pedals) has been replaced TWICE.

Otherwise, the only other recall I can think of involved the cover over the gears for the windshield wipers. I guess there is a switch in there that could heat up and melt the cover (Ford needs to learn how to design a switch to handle contamination!).

Reply to
Andrew Rossmann