2002 Taurus Automatic Climate Control problem

I noticed this today. It's winter now so I have not been using the A/C much at all until I tried to turn it on today.

The Automatic Climate control on this car is stuck in the heater position. I can get it to blow air at any speed, I can even get it to blow air out of any opening, only trying to set the temperature at 60 is not possible anymore. I can get it to digitally say "60" only it doesn't mean anything because hot air still keeps coming out. When I try selecting between 60 and 90 degrees I can still hear stuff happening inside the dashboard and it does seem to get hotter at 90 -- only it will never go all to way to 60 again to shut the heat off. At this point the A/C turns on but it will never feel cold again until I can figure out what broke inside in order to shut the heat off inside the dashboard.

Is it possible to scrap the Automatic climate control and install the manual climate control that's used in the more basic models of this type of car? It's a 2002 Ford Taurus SEL.

I am very much annoyed at this point. I haven't had any problems that weren't covered until this happened. The car is not under warrantee any longer.

The only other problem I have had is the brake light switch going bad, the low coolant light glitch, and the power steering pump leaking. The only one of the three that weren't covered was the low coolant dashboard light going on every now and then mysteriously even though the fluid level is perfectly OK. And that was because it happened after the warantee expired.

TIA!

Reply to
Eastward Bound

What would cause this to be stuck in the full heat when it's digitaly set to 60, instead it feels like 90.

I checked for obvious loose connections, wires, and vacume hoses and I have found nothing. Is the problem mechanical, electronic, electrical, or what?

Reply to
Eastward Bound