2003 Taurus Reliability

Our 2003 Taurus is near 30k miles. What kind of issues can we expect to have with it now? Is the extended warranty worth it? I can fix brakes, but I don't want to do engine or transmission work.

Tom Line tlineN0 snipped-for-privacy@iglou.com

Reply to
Tom Line

If you dont wanna do any work to it, then take it to a dealer or you shouldnt have bought a car at all.

Reply to
abomb6900

On my car (a 97 Contour), the only issues I have had with it are brakes and the two front bearings went out, one at about 80k mi and the other 105k mi.

Remember, the extended wararanty is not really a warranty, but insurance. You are much better off taking the money (only a little bit of which is actually used to pay claims -- most of it goes for profit for the dealer and Ford) and putting it in the bank. In 2008 or so, when you have 200k mi, and are thinking about a new car, you will probably have some or even most of the money still there.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

If you dont wanna do any work to it, then take it to a dealer or you shouldnt have bought a car at all.

Reply to
abomb6900

Sell your computer and buy a CB radio.

:>

:>

:> Tom Line :> tlineN0 snipped-for-privacy@iglou.com :>

:>

: :

Reply to
Tom Line

I just had my 2003 SEL (31,000 miles) in for warranty service today on the heater/AC blower motor. It just stopped working without any warning. Dealer agrees with me that the water leak problem on this model probably contributed to the motor breakdown. Be sure that your car does not leak rainwater into the front passenger footwell. This leak comes in at the cowl vent, drips into the blower motor housing which is behind the glovebox, then winds up dripping onto the carpet. That water can wipe out the blower motor.

There is a service bulletin for this leak, and the fix will be free. What they do is install a redesigned passenger side cowl outside screen/vent panel, and a shield on the air opening into the cowl. It is TSB 03-15-06

Also be sure to change the trans fluid at 30,000 miles if you have the transmission that requires this. Mine did, I have the Duratec engine.

The car has been recalled for a possible air filter fire and for a brake light switch upgrade. I am not getting a warm feeling about the long haul with this one, which is disturbing because I had a similar 1997 that went past 90,000 with no problems, just tires and brakes.

Do not try to use the e-mail, it is bogus

Hope this helps

Reply to
Leo