2004 Ford Escape Drive Train

After reading that findarticle.com article, I'm beginning to think that

*none* of the previous year models of Escape actually had AWD, despite some of the old professional reviews on the web that are still published for previous year models. The 'auto' mode of the 4WD-equipped models imparts peculiar cornering on dry pavement that has a functional similarity with AWD.

This subject is way too technical for the average car salesman. Are you guys beginning to see why the salesman couldn't tell me for sure?

Reply to
Knack

Yes! LOL

Reply to
JonnyCab®

I question not only the journalists' descriptions of technical features, but the credibility of their driving tests too. Please see the handling description for the 2002 Escape at

The guy states that theEscape has *understeer* handling characteristics. Oh, really ;-) If theEscape handles with understeer, then it would not merely handle like a sedan(slides controllably before it rolls over) but like a good sports car.AFAIK, generally only sports cars posess understeer handlingcharacteristics. Those sports car models that are certain to have it aremid/rear engine with rear wheel drive. This is not to say that othervehicles such as Corvettes and Mercedes don't have it, but they are lesscommon. And quite to the contrary of what was stated, front wheel drive*sedans* having understeer characteristics are a very uncommon exception tothe rule.

Reply to
Knack

Understeer is common to almost all front wheel drive autos while over steer is common to rear wheel drive autos. With Front wheel drive, over steer can be simulated by pulling up sharply on the hand brake as one enters a turn. Rally drivers have been doing this for years.

Reply to
Reece Talley

But I remember the old MiniCoopers were used for road racing. They had notorious oversteer characteristics. Do they still? Weren't they the first front wheel drive cars?

Reply to
Knack

They were far from the first but they were mass produced like none before had been. I drove a couple of Coopers back in 70 and 71 and I don't remember them over steering without handbrake input. They had torque steer just as is common to all FWD cars and IIRC, they were almost impossible to spin out on dry pavement.

Reply to
Reece Talley

Interested in seeing your definition of "capable"...... also interested in understanding how you came to know this.

Might be a good little scooter for dancing around sand dunes and forest lanes but I live in the oil patch in northern Alberta.... heavy loads...... -50°C..... slop past your axles..... break through the muskeg and look for a convenient Cat. I am talking what is pretty close to the most inhospitable climate you can imagine. I've seen a couple of consultants try the Range Rover routine...... after that, they get smart...

Jim Warman

a real four-wheel drive will have a high and low range which the overwhelming majority of front wheel drive based SUVs will not have. from the manual do not drive on drive or even wet pavement in four wheel drive mode

Reply to
boo radley

the manual for my Mazda tribute / escape says do not drive it on in four wheel drive mode

Reply to
boo radley