97 Rover 600i ISCV or Lamba

Have seen plenty of posts describing similiar symptoms to those displayed by my 600i rover. Stalls when approaching junctions and dipping clutch or when parking on full lock etc. I cannot find any posts though that confirm the particular arrangment on this Honda powered 600.

Basic question first off is a ISCV the same as an Air control? Is this applicable to my car and if so is it located on the throttle body or inlet manifold.

I'm thinking if it is this my dad (who is the brains behind this operation) could try cleaing throttle housing and ISCV before investing in a new one? Am I also right in beleiving I will need to re-boot ECU to re-learn correct idle by disconnecting battery.

btw and I don't know if the two are connected but I only scraped through emissions on the last test (60k on clock) or is this more likely a lamba sensor?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

---------------------------------------------- Posted with NewsLeecher v2.0 Beta 5 * Binary Usenet Leeching Made Easy *

coaster

ISCV is very the same as the idle air control - it works by varying the amount of air bypassing the (closed) throttle plate, and thus the idle speed. This valve is on the inlet manifold and can be removed and cleaned with standard carb cleaner aerosol. If the engine idle speed isn't being maintained then it's entirely possible the ECU isn't getting a good signal from one or more sensors and is using default values - this would also explain the high emissions and I suspect it is down on power and economy too?

You can check if the ECU has stored any fault codes using the following procedure:

1) Switch OFF the ignition and remove the front passenger kick panel. 2) Find the two pin connector which has orange/red & green.white wires but isn't connected to anything. 3) Connect the two pins together using a short length of wire or a paperclip (but ensure it can't touch anything else!) 4) Switch ON the ignition and watch the 'Check engine' light on the instrument panel.

Short flashes give you the first digit of a fault code, long flashes give you the second digit (if any). After a short pause it will then display any further error codes in the same way before repeating the sequence. The fault codes are as follows:

Code Item suspected

0 ECU malfunction or not powered 1 O2 sensor (lambda/hego sensor) 3 Inlet manifold pressure sensor (MAP) 4 Crankshaft position sensor (CKP) 5 Inlet manifold pressure sensor (MAP) 6 Coolant temperature sensor (ECT) 7 Throttle position sensor (TP) 8 Top dead-centre sensor (TDC) 9 #1 cylinder position sensor (CYP) 10 Intake air temperature sensor (IAT) 12 Exhaust gas recirculation system (EGR) 13 Barometric pressure sensor (BARO) 14 Idle air control valve (IAC) 15 Ignition output signal 17 Vehicle speed sensor (VSS) 30 Auto gearbox selector signal A 31 Auto gearbox selector signal B 41 O2 sensor heater 43 Fuel supply system

Hopefully the above will give you some clues where to start looking!

Darren

Reply to
Darren Jarvis

Didn't see my "Thank you" note posted yesterday when I logged on today so in case it's not a case of Google being slow at populating, I'll say again thanks for your speedy and ensightful response. Hopefully your willingness to share will save me a couple humdred quid at a Rover dealer :-)

If only all groups were this helpful.

Reply to
duncan.size