235/55R17 tires on 2005 Town Car Signature Limited?

  • The whole 10mm of extra width would cause the tires to hit the suspension on wide turns.

  • They also said "If the car has traction control it may have false abs and traction control activation. I would not recommend putting those larger tires on the car"

... are these concerns real or ultracautionary BS?

I want the Goodyear Assurance TripleTred but it's not made in P225/60R17. Will need it in the S. Florida rain later this year. Michelin HydroEdge could be a good choice but it's a little more money and has only a 1-ply sidewall. Not good since I'm rough on tires (I can get REALLY close the the curb when I park). Using 1-year-old General Altimax RT now. Not bad at all. Will consider keeping those if the TripleTreds are a bad idea.

Thanks.

Reply to
The Derfer

I have overall found the HydroEdge to be a better tire in wet than the Triple Tread, and it's more stable on grooved pavement. Overall I would highly recommend it. And stay away from the curb.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

What car did you have each on?

Reply to
The Derfer

The Derfer wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@g19g2000yql.googlegroups.com:

I suppose they'd ban snow tires too then. They're wider than normal tires.

Reply to
fred

Check national i'net sites--for sizes AND optional sizes to see their recommendations. I'd expect about any mfg. using factory 225's should run a tire just 0.39 inches wider ok! But, I've been wrong before. HTH, s

Reply to
sdlomi2

I did the A/B comparison on an older BMW 535i. Have also used the HydroEdge on a BMW 2002, an old Chrysler Laser, and a Subaru Impreza and been happy with them on all. Never on anything the size of a Town Car, it's true.

I liked the old Goodyear Aquatreads a whole lot in spite of them being very squirrely on grooved pavement. I felt the Triple Tread was a big step down when the Aquatread was discontinued.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Aren't the treads nearly the same for tripletred and the old aquatreads?

Reply to
The Derfer

That's what the man at Goodyear says. But they sure don't handle the same way.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey