85 thunderbird set for yrs not getting gas switch in trunk makes click pump no s

Just bought 85 thunderbird but it will not start. Not getting gas. may have set for 10 years. Can't hear any pump sound, but do hear a click at switch in trunk. This is a v6. No gas was in the gas tank and the owner may have tried starting it without gas several times. How do we test pump, pump relay? is there 2 fuel pumps for this car?. If it is the pump should we change fuel sender and all parts inside the tank since we will have it down?

Reply to
Matt Greene

I owned an 85 T-Bird 3.8 V6 way back when. Only one fuel pump. It is in the tank with the sender and pickup. You have to drop the tank to get at the pump. Check your grounds. The fuel pump gets its ground circuit via the steel of the fuel tank. The locking ring holding the pump in place gets rusty, making the ground circuit marginal at best. There is also a fuel pump relay near the EEC-IV computer, behind front passenger kickplate. It gets balky. Also check rollover switch in trunk. Fuel filter is under the car, passengers side, I think towards the rear wheel.. I could be wrong, I sold mine in 1995.

The gas tanks rust out from the top, dirt and road salt get trapped up there between the tank top and the floor of the trunk.

3.8 V have head gasket and cooling problems. C5 automatics tend to wear out every 100k miles or so. The back lit LCD cluster must be removed to replace burnt out halogen display lamps, the floor pan is made of really thin steel. pull back the carpet and check for floor pan cracks and tears around front seat mount bolts. Good luck.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Stone

Steve Stone wrote in news:lop1ac$gdl$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

It is helpful posts like yours that make Usenet still worth the effort.

Reply to
Andrew Chaplin