89 Town Car will not start

Over the weekend I replaced the oil pressure sending unit on my 89 Town Car because it was leaking oil. After installing the sending unit, re-attaching the power steering pump and alternator, and reconnecting the wiring harnesses to the alternator, the car has now decided that it will not start.

The engine rotates but will not fire. Since I had recently replaced the ignition coil, cap and rotor, plugs and wires, I beleive I can rule them out. The car ran great since their installation. I am showing that the primary coil connection is getting battery voltage with the ignition on. I also connected a test light to the tach terminal on the coil, grounded the secondary and can see the light flash when the ignition is turned to start.

I can't imagine that the installation of the oil pressure sending unit could be related to this, since it only involved the removal of the alternator and temporary repositioning of the power steering pump to gain access to the unit, but stranger things have happened.

Any ideas on where to start looking, I really don't want to have to have it towed to the dealer?

Thanks in advance, Bob Deeley

Reply to
Bob Deeley

I suspect that there is a loss wire that you knocked out accidentally. Perhaps to the fuel pump, if it is electric. You don't say whether or not the engine is getting fuel. Perhaps you kinked a fuel line. Also, something you did to the ignition could have come lose, either by accident or on its own.

Jeff

re-attaching

Reply to
Jeff

Check the crank sensor and connections also to make sure it's not loose. A bad crank sensor will cause the car not to start. Also check if you hear the fuel pump come on when you turn the key.

Reply to
SizzleMP