'91 3.8 engine into 2000 Taurus?

I have '91 Taurus Wagon with a really strong 3.8L engine, but extensive rust, and an opportunity to acquire a 2000 Taurus sedan with an excellent body, but a bad 3.0L engine. So, my question is whether it is feasible to bring these two together. Would prefer to use the later transmission, but could keep the '91 if necessary. Thanks.

Joe

Reply to
Mandrake

I would doubt it's worth the effort. You are talking about different generation cars, totally different engines, different computers, different wiring, etc...

Reply to
Andrew Rossmann

Yeah, that's what I wanted to find out before I went off half-cocked, as I have done all too many times in the past ;^)

Knew they were different generations, but wasn't sure what that entailed. For example, I was surprised to find that the station wagon rear hatch from a generation 2 fits the '91 perfectly.

Thanks for saving me lots of grief!

Joe

Reply to
Joe Befumo

It may be better to find a used 2000 engine (get the same type, as both the Vulcan and the Duratec are 3.0L) or repair the 2000's engine. Another confusing aspect is that I believe the 2000 Duratec was the only one that used coil-on-plug ignition. Earlier and later ones used a coil pack and plug wires.

Reply to
Andrew Rossmann