92 Crown Victoria hesitating

Hi folks. I have a 92 crown Victoria. quite a few KM on it, but a little while ago, it started acting up. when i'm starting out to drive, it acts fine, but as it gets going, it will start to sputter, and hesitate. when i hold the peddle to the mat, it stops doing it, but when i let off, it starts again. We had this issues before, and it was a bad plug. I changed all the plugs this time, but no love. i am going to replace the plug wires for sure, but i read this problem could be the throttle position sensor... any ideas? some kind of a problem with spark advance?

any opinions or insite would be helpful. :)

Reply to
Handmade

If the '92 has a distributor cap and rotor (my '88 does), replace those too.

Reply to
DJ

it has ignition packs.

Reply to
Handmade

Reply to
Happy Traveler

Indeed! I have no clue as to how to do that, but if you could point me to resources, i'd be grateful.

Reply to
Handmade

The factory 'Engine Electronics and Emission Control' manual is of course the best, but googling for something like 'EEC-IV codes' will bring a lot of useful information. Here is one I found in just a couple minutes:

(Seems decent, though I did not see the detailed procedure for on-demand "Key-On Engine Running" diagnostics there -- it's pretty simple, but varies a bit from vehicle to vehicle).

Notice that EEC-IV can't self-diagnose ignition or fuel pressure. So rule those problems out first, if suspected.

Incidentally, the best resource for CV on the web is the crownvic.net forum. Plenty of very knowledgeable people there to help you, and lots of stuff in their searchable archives.

Good Luck!

Reply to
Happy Traveler

My Cavalier used to do that. always at the same position (or more like pedal acts funny between there & there). replaced the TPS sensor and it went away.

Reply to
El Bandito

has lots of resources too... (same car platform)

Reply to
El Bandito

thanks to everyone for the links and advice. i'll post back when i find the issue for someone else to learn :)

Reply to
Handmade

well folks. i replaced the plug wires last night, and it seems to work fine today!

Reply to
Handmade