92 taurus -no heat

lately in my car i am not able to get any heat out of the heater core, sometimes i can but usually not.

what should i look for that's causing the problem?

Reply to
john

You can look in this news group where this problem is covered a dozen times

Reply to
johanb

Reply to
john

John, The first thing to check is the coolant level. If it's low, the first thing that doesn't work is usually the heater, since that's usually the highest thing in the coolant path.

If you find the vehicle is low on coolant, fill it with a 50-50 antifreeze mixture and run it for a ways, then see if it's low again. If it is, top it off, and then run some more. Drive it til it's hot, and then park it with a spread-out cardboard box under the engine for a while. Back off the cardboard and inspect it carefully for a green, sweet-smelling liquid. If you find it, this is antifreeze (might also be reddish, depends on what color your coolant is), and you have a leak. Usually, you can fix those yourself, but that's another story.

Reply to
Pat Moore

Thanks Pat,

I check fluid level, a little low. With vehicle warmed to normal operating temp, at idle I have very little if any heat coming out of the vents. If I speed up the idle or go out and drive it I get heat. It seems to me I am having trouble forcing water through the heater core.

I heard there may be a check valve in line that could cause this condition? Or am I just simply looking at a plugged heater core?

All suggestions or ideas are welcome.

Reply to
john

Probably

What is the color of the coolant ????

Feel if the hoses get HOT. If 1 gets hot and the other stays just a little warm you have a restriction and you can try to flush the heater core both ways.

Johan

Reply to
johanb

Try this link:

Hope this helps - at least it's a start. Unca' Bob

Reply to
Unca' Bob

I wouldn't rule out a water pump, either.

I didn't see if you listed which engine you had, but my Windstar with the same 3.8 that's used in Tauruses has had this happen. I filled up the coolant (it took a couple of times) and all is now well.

One thing I've heard about the 3.8 is that they are notorious for head gasket problems. If you have a leaking head gasket, you will be losing antifreeze into the cylinders, which will a) make white smoke and b) cause your antifreeze to dwindle and c) enrage you when you get the repair bill.

Just my $.02.

Greg

Reply to
gmach3