93 Escort - Daytime Running Lights?

I need to add daytime running lights to my 1993 Escort (reason - I am importing the car to Canada) and need to know where I might find the connector to add the drl module for this car (if there is one, anyone know the part #?).

If anyone can help me out with the info, it would be much appreciated.

Reply to
nobody

Sharon K. Cooke

Okay... besides the obvious "any Ford dealer" - anyone have any actual helpful experience? I have the useless chiltons manual, which of course makes no mention of the DRL module.

Thanks

Reply to
nobody

Seems like sound advice to me. You might make even be more successful if you call a Ford dealer in Canada, or in a border town in the US.

Have you ever thought that you might be the only one on these boards to ever try this? Don't get upset at the lack of information that you came here expecting to find.

The aftermarket repair manuals won't have anything about Canadian-specific equipment, because it is not relevant to the majority of readers. Remember, the population of Canada is but a fraction of the US.

Get on the phone and let the group know your results, so the next person with the same question will find an answer.

Gerard

Reply to
geewhiz

Believe me, before I bother posting I scoured the old usenet posts (via google) - There were a few posts regarding this, but no real specifics.

Daytime running lights isn't exactly a Canadian specific equipment issue. Supposedly the wiring is in place for the module, since it wouldn't make any sense to use an entirely different wiring harness for cars destined to Canada or other DRL-friendly countries. Not to mention that some people actually run DRL in the U.S, but we will not bother getting into the "daytime running lights is the devil" tangent that happens everytime somebody mentions daytime running lights.

Obviously, I wasn't planning on waiting until getting an answer from usenet before getting around to taking care of the matter - I was just simply asking if anyone has had experience with this issue, if so great - if not, so be it.

And yes, I will update the thread when I get an answer, for the sake of the next google-searching wanna-be Canadian.

population of Canada

Reply to
nobody

Reply to
Sharon K. Cooke

Well, here're the specifics.

You can get the module from a Ford dealer for a relatively large amount of money, horse around going into the wiring to install it and have it fail in two years or so (the wiring is NOT already present, it uses an overlay harness, and Ford's DRL modules have a very high failure rate)...that's option 1.

Option 2, go get the module from

for $30, spend 10 minutes installing it and you're done. That module, which I installed on my own '92 when I imported it, meets Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 108 requirements for DRLs.

Yes, it is.

You wouldn't think so, but in fact the wiring is not in place.

There are no such countries outside the US and Canada where Ford's OE-type DRLs (reduced intensity high beams) are allowed.

DS

Reply to
Daniel Stern Lighting

Reply to