Daytime Running Lights?

Could someone please confirm for me if US sold TL's have Daytime Running Lights.

I was investigating buying a buddy's car and bringing it to Canada, and the DRL's would remove one issue.

Thank You, Jerry

Reply to
Sierra

"Sierra" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com:

Nope. Canada only.

You can make your life a bit easier by asking American Honda for the Certificate of Compliance for the particular VIN you want to buy.

See here for Canadian importation rules:

It's not that hard to install them. Try here for an aftermarket solution (probably the most popular one):

Once the car is past Customs and your provincial certification, most provinces allow disconnection of the DRLs. I'd therefore try to install it in as non-invasive a way as possible so as to allow removal if desired.

I think only Nova Scotia requires DRLs to be connected all the time. Other provinces only require them to be active during the change-of-ownership safety inspection (if they have an inspection).

Reply to
TeGGeR®

I recently purchased a 2005 TL and installed this kit :

They're not mandatory in NY State, but I prefer the additional safety.

Since the US model has fog lights (they are next to the driving lights), I used the fog lights as daytime running lights. With the resistor included in the kit, the lights are not at full power and therefore will last longer. I also installed an additional relay to shut them off when turning on the driving lights. This way, I can use them as fog lights when needed, as they were originally intended.

Reply to
Whitey

Nope. That don't even have lights that automatically come on when dark

Reply to
Jim Tiberio

I am at the end ( I think) of the long road one must take to import a car from the US.

Probably the most difficult document to get is a letter from the manufacturer stating the car has been modified and conforms with all applicable Canadian Vehicle Safety and Emission Standards. That may cost you as little as $50.00 up to $7.500 and unfortunately you are in the dealers hands. Without that letter and after paying the broker ($300.00) and import duty (6.5%) and fst (6.5% ?) , when you apply to the federal government for "form 2" you may be told to send the car back to the US immediately or be liable to severe ... ... bla..bla bla....

Some of the costs are not related to the purchased value of the car, like the brokerage fee $300.00, the $220 to the Canadian Government or $440 if the work isn't done within a couple of months (RIV ) , $200 for the provincial inspection etc.

So, start by getting from AcuraCanada IN WRITING, confirmation that the car can be modified to conform to Canadian Standards . Also get the approximate cost for the job. After that is mostly money and lots of it.

Remember that Canadian dealers don't like that cars can be imported from any country at a lower price. You may be treated as a black sheep.

As an example, a Mercedes 2004 500SL purchased in the US for $70.000 US will cost you about $105.000 can. Canadian dollar at 0.10 and provincial tax at 7%) The same car from Mercedes Canada may cost about $125.00 tax included.

That includes $5.1k (up to $7.5K for most 4 seats) . Mercedes, requires $ 200.00 for the first estimate and another $500.00 to verify that the work, they did, was properly done. Obviously a money grabbing scheme.

A friend of mine imported at Lexus and had no problems. I don't know about Acura but the procedure is the same.

John

Reply to
John

John wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Excellent points made here!

The only thing I'd point out is that the 6.5% import duty does not apply if the car was made in a country which is part of NAFTA.

The easiest way to import a car from either side of the border to the other is to make sure the car is a pre-'68. Almost no paperwork or certification needed in that case.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

I believe that means USA, Canada and Mexico But, like Mercedes, they are not allowed to sell a new to car to a Canadian resident.

Correct

One more thing : I don't know if Acura gives free maintenance during the warranty period like Mercedes and other manufactures. You also lose that but the main warranty remains valid.

John

Reply to
John

John wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Yes. As far as I know, those three are the only signatories to NAFTA.

Sort of. There is no specific prohibition, but Honda's notices to dealers say basically this: "We'd really really rather you NOT sell to . If you do, you run the risk of losing your franchise!"

Personally, I don't know of any dealer that's actually lost his franchise for selling to the dark side.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

Thanks for all the info. I am actually quite familiar with the importation rule, given this would be my third car crossing the border. Brokerage fees??? why. It's not hard. And duty, well that's why I was looking at a TL, as it's built in Ohio. No duty. And at least with my two Miata's getting a manufacturer letter stating the conformance, and the up to date recalls is not too hard. Sure, you have to pay GST, the $200 fed fee, and $100 Excise tax, but it would still save me over $5K.

But this brought up the other good question... would Acura Canada honor the US warranty? I figured I'd get this in writing from Acura, but I would buy a used car so I wouldn't violate any dealer rules with their supplier.

Thanks again for all the good info.

J=2E

Reply to
Sierra

Mercedes Canada is probably the most difficult manufacturer to negotiate with. $200.00 to give you an estimate and $500.00 to inspect the work they did !!! The Canadian law reads that a sticker on the dash indicating that the speedometer indicates miles is sufficient.Not good for Mercedes , they replace the complete console ( about $1.8k ) and they will not give me the replaced one. They gave me an old one from a different model . They can't find the one they removed !!! I am going to take them to the small claims court for that.

Regarding the Federal inspection, The first letter from the government indicates Canadian Tire as the place to go to. Later they sent me another letter with about a couple of hundred places excluding Canadian Tire. The cost is about $80.00 I went to Canadian Tire and asked if they are qualified to do the inspection and they reply yes and the cost was zero. They sad " you already paid $25.00 at the border for that.

Mercedes US sent me a letter stating that the warranty is valid until 2008

This is a constant fight but I saved between 20 and 30k My car look's and drives like new but I really prefer driving my little 91 Integra.

Keep us informed.

John

Reply to
John