93 Ford Taurus

How much vacuum should I get at the EGR valve? On the egr vacuum solinoid is there a gasket or anything like that to help seal it?

Reply to
Panther

none at the valve, it should only have vacuum when you rev the engine.

Reply to
Scott M

Interesting, this one has a slight vacuum when the engine is at idle, and next to none when it's revved. I'm assuming this could change my gas mileage?

Reply to
Panther

You are talking at the valve, not the soleniod right? Are you getting a check engine light? Is it running bad?

Reply to
Scott M

I've heard 3 different names for this, but its the piece that feeds the vacuum from the intake manifold, to the EGR valve. Is it running bad? No not really, check engine lights, yes, and codes have been run. 1 indicates the EGR valve is not functioning. We checked it out, and it's operating noramally, but there is not enough vacuum to open it. Another code indicates that the O2 on back 1 is running lean, I am going to shortly replace both O2 sensors just to make sure they are ok. It looks like I still have the originals. I've been trying to find the EGR solenoid, switch or whatever it is, without any luck, everyone says it's out of stock.The gas mileage at best is around 15 mpg.

Reply to
Panther

At idle, open the valve by hand-by pushing up on the diaphram under it. The engine should slow/stumble a little. If not its a plugged passage. If it does stumble it probably is the soleniod or vacuum or electrical connection to it. Remember, the egr will only open with the engine warmed up. See how it goes after the O2 replacement. A bad O2 can lower your mileage by causing it to run too rich.

Reply to
Scott M

At idle, open the valve by hand-by pushing up on the diaphram under it. The engine should slow/stumble a little. If not its a plugged passage. If it does stumble it probably is the soleniod or vacuum or electrical connection to it. Remember, the egr will only open with the engine warmed up. See how it goes after the O2 replacement. A bad O2 can lower your mileage by causing it to run rich. Do you have a scan tool or just a code reader?

Reply to
Scott M

Oddly enough I finally found the part I was looking for. I do not believe this vacuum parts was doing it's job. They people I bought it from called it a vacuum regulator. After putting it in, I tested the gas mileage. Usually when driven just around town I get 11mpg, lately I have not been doing a lot of highway driving. With the new vacuum regulator in place, I get an average

15 mpg, so the gas mileage increased by 4 mpg. My brother in law currently has the car and has reported that he's just used just under a quarter on the marker and the trip odometer is showing 157. I reset this each time and normally I see 157 just under a half. I'm sure the gas gauge is not accurate, I know it makes me mighty nervous when I get near E. We will be replacing the O2 sensors today as well, I'm putting in a matched set of Bosch O2 sensors..... We will see how this effects the mpg as well. I did find a site that shows the SHO's 93 getting beween 17-24 mpg. I would love to find Ford's original specs on the engine.
Reply to
Panther

The spec is around 20 MPG, I believe. Something like 18 - 22 for the 3.8L, a little better for the 3.0L. I had the same kind of problem with my '93 Sable. Now it needs a new engine and I am trying to sell it. It was leaking a small amount of coolant from the intake manifold gasket into the engine. One day it let go and the engine blew up, a connecting rod went through the oil pan and when I pulled the left hand (front of car) head, the cylinder and piston were completely missing at the front (left of car) of the engine. I had gotten as low as say 12 MPG on a tank.

Maybe this isn't the problem but if coolant is dissapearing on you, fix it.

Best of luck, Aron

Reply to
Aron