94 TBird 4.6 L. running lean?

Re: 94 TBird 4.6 L. running lean?

94 TBird LX V8, 59k mi., in generally very good condition and religiously nursed.

I pull a plug from each bank and inspect. Both (Motorcraft Platinum) plugs in good shape, but both electrodes are W-H-I-T-E (a sort of powdery white) indicating a potential lean mixture condition per the Haynes (Ugh) manual. It is not a new condition: the electrodes have always looked like this.

Seems somebody somewhere said that the 4.6 fuel injected plugs are -supposed- to burn white. True? False??

Thanx, Puddin'

****************************************************** *** Puddin' Man PuddingDotMan at GmailDotCom *** ******************************************************;
Reply to
Puddin' Man

Puddin' Man opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.east.earthlink.net:

Is it pinging? Is the check engine lite on?

No?

Then find a hobby.

The DIRTY insulator indications still hold true... but those pics were taken, and advice was written, before EFI. When you routinely changed plugs every

25k miles
Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

No. Littlest tinyest miss at idle occasionally when I start it cold. Otherwise runs fine.

Got several. One is trying to properly maintain an auto that sometimes exhibits unpredictable characteristics.

Yeah, it's a Haynes manual. They might've just thrown in the old pix to fill a page.

I still don't know why the old rules wouldn't apply to EFI. "Light brown electrodes indicate proper fuel/air mixture". I will assume "Funny Stuff of Indeterminate Origin" until I get an intuitive explanation.

That's about what the plugs have got on 'em.

Puddin'

****************************************************** *** Puddin' Man PuddingDotMan at GmailDotCom *** ******************************************************;
Reply to
Puddin' Man

Puddin' Man opined

I see the same pix and text in a book for the early Mustang ...to my Probe and MN12 TBird

It was based on PRACTICAL observation... NOT ideal state of operation.

The difference is MAINLY that Point Fuel injection is far more precise in fuel metering... especially on acceleration and idle. "LEan Burn" isnt just a Honda technology.. it's key (from a 'relative' POV) to higher mileage standards.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Well, OK. It was a -practical- concern for po' me ...

So if I maybe run it at 4500 rpm for 10+ min., shut it down and pull a plug quick, I might get "lite brown"?

It was engineered to run lean at most/all rpm ranges? My ride doesn't seem to run hot at all, but I'm guessing the combustion chamber temps might be higher than necessary.

Cheers, Puddin'

****************************************************** *** Puddin' Man PuddingDotMan at GmailDotCom *** ******************************************************;
Reply to
Puddin' Man

Puddin' Man opined

Dang! Why are you looking for trouble?

If you're that worried about getting some color on there... drain the oil out and run it around the block a couple times.

Then you'll have some color.

If it doesnt ping it aint too lean!

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Backyard Mechanic opined in news:Xns9564CC091D4FABkMch6d@207.115.63.158:

WHooaaa.. THAT was irresponsible!

If it doesnt show LEAN or NO-SWITCHING codes and it doesnt ping, it isnt too lean.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Just a nat'ral worry wart, I guess. I was the same way when I was drivin' a GM ...

If the code flags were set I guess the 'check engine' lite would come on. Never has. No ping. For which I'm grateful.

For me, it's a Ford thang. If my door locks didn't actuate when I switch my dome-lite on, maybe I wouldn't worry so much! :-) (-:

Cheers, Puddin'

****************************************************** *** Puddin' Man PuddingDotMan at GmailDotCom *** ******************************************************;
Reply to
Puddin' Man

That door lock thing sounds familiar, one of my Fords does it too... I don't remember which but it's done it since new... so I ignore it... Your ride is fine - enjoy!

PoD

Reply to
Paul of Dayton

For me, it's a constant reminder. I doubt anyone on the planet understands 100% of the wiring on my '94. Wiring on the newer cars is even more complex ...

You mean my engine should be OK. You well may be right. Only time will tell.

Is it the inertia switch that's supposed to shut off the fuel pump on impact?

Around '02, I signaled a left turn and slowed down normally. It was raining, and some truck-guy slammed into the back of the ThunderChicken, like to took my po' head off. $5000 of body damage. The inertia switch did not actuate.

'Bout a year later, the right rear Firestone shredded while on the hiway doing 50 mph. Beat hell outa the wheel well. Inertia switch triggered. Go figger.

All auto makers mis-engineer: Ford has no monopoly. It has been, is presently, and will always be just a question of degree.

Cheers, Puddin'

\>