95 T-bird LX - interior lights don't shut off

I'm having some trouble with the interior lights in my 95 T-Bird LX Gold Edition.

The interior lights (both the overhead map reading ones, and the ones for the back seat & floorboards) don't shut off while the engine's running, and stay on for a good while after I shut the car off. They do shut off by themselves eventually. I checked my panel dimmer switch (and auto headlights etc.), but I can dim the panel all the way to off and the lights remain. Next I checked the door switches. Neither of them seem to be the culprit - both of them still cause the 'door ajar' light to come on when a door is open, and when both are shut the 'door ajar' light is out but the interior lights are still on.

Are there any other switches for the interior lights that I should check? The computer seems to turn them off after the car's been turned off for a while, but it's annoying to drive at night with the map lights stuck on.

I'd be grateful for any tips you could send my way. Thanks in advance!

- BB

Reply to
bbs_junk

Are you sure the MAP lights are on... isnt it the center light between them?

I cant seem to get my CD manual up, so I'm taking a wild guess that the problem is in the delay module which SHOULD be located under the dash to the left of the steering column as the inputs/shared circuits are the headlight switch, the ign switch and the driver door harness. The fact the lights go out, engine off, rules out the door switches and headlight/dimmer, leaving the ignition switch input as the culprit... this may or may not be originated in the switch wiring but removing the delay module would likely fix it.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic