97 Taurus air bag sensor location/code 45

Got a code 45, near as I can tell(from a quick search) its probably a badly grounded front crash sensor. Anyone know off hand(specifically) where it is? I'll probably start looking tomorrow for it...Or....if I'm misinformed by the code, please do tell details :)I prolly should find that pirated CD I downloaded a while back *oops, did I say that out loud?*

Reply to
ShoeSaleman

Under that plastic radiator cover with all the stickers.

Black square box hold down by 4 green bolts

Anybody knows why they use green bolts ??????? Always wandered

Reply to
JohanB

Thanks, maybe those green bolts mean it's supossed to be grounded by those green bolts...???....

Reply to
ShoeSaleman

You think black or silver colored bolts wont do the job ??

Reply to
JohanB

OK, I have no "plastic radiator cover with all the stickers". Are you thinking of a older Taurus? Mine looks like the radiator is covered by the whole, what I would call, radiator support. I can't even see the radiator from the top. Well, maybe if I looked though the fans.....Just FYI, the car was wrecked in the front years ago, it could be it all was painted the color of the car and the stickers were not replaced. I looked all over the front, without jacking it up, and I saw nothing that looked like a crash sensor. Maybe I could see it from the bottom? I'll jack it up tomorrow and have a look-see. I've had a little experience with Tauruses but nothing in the front radiator apparently, cause I don't even see how to remove the radiator, I sure don't remember ever doing one. If I was told to remove the radiator, after looking under the hood I would put the car on a lift to look at it first, thats for sure...:)

Reply to
ShoeSaleman

maybe thats why

If its missing you will see a black square block about 1 " with a arrow on it pointing forward, hold down by 4 bolt.

Originally there green but maybe they used other bolts for it

Located right in the centre above the radiator

It has a white round connector with 4 pins, kinda like a O2 sensor connector

Reply to
JohanB

If you have the model with oval head lites it wont apply

FWIW description of sensor is the same, black square block with arrow on it

Reply to
JohanB

Well, I think its safe to say just about EVERYTHING on this car is oval. You must be thinking of a different year car :)

Reply to
ShoeSaleman

Everything? I thought they had gotten the oval rear window gone in 97, maybe it was 98 then....

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Have you ever metered the resistance of a black anodized bolt? :-)

Reply to
Shel-hed

I checked on alldata and I'm afraid both sensors are located behind the bumper

Good luck

Reply to
JohanB

thanks, a little further investigation tells me its the left crash sensor. Probably a bad ground. (I found that CD I downloaded :)Now I just have to get in the mood to fix it.....

Reply to
ShoeSaleman

If I remember correctly, that bumper cover comes off pretty easily. About 8 or so screws and it will slide right off.

Reply to
Tom Adkins

Cool, thanks for the info.

Reply to