Resurrect the Flying Pinto

The Flying Pinto actually flew. It was not the project of Ford Motor Co., but of two guys who thought they could build a flying car on a shoestring budget. If it didn't crash and kill them both, they might have actually developed it into series production.

In contrast to the Flying Pinto team's efficiency, Ford spent about a billion dollars to design a mere sedan, the 80's reincarnation of the Thunderbird. It was supposedly a completely new car.

Now, think again about the Flying Pinto, only this time as a full-blown development project. With say three billions in R & D it could be done right. The World would see the first commercially successful flying car. I envision it being sold as two components. The car could be bought first, then later, the flying kit when the owner saved enough nickels and dimes. Probably the market is at least as big as the combined market for exotics, a fairly small, but still a mass market.

Ford doesn't have the money or the inclination. It has to be a government project, with licenses to the manufacturers. If Ford doesn't take the license, Toyota would. The government has three billion at its fingertips: That's two month's worth of wasted money for the failing Iraqi war. Our Leader must stop his personal, Constitutionally illegal undeclared war, recall the troops and begin investing the money saved into a long, long overdue project, the flying car.

Within two or three years we could have prototypes. Within 10 years you should be able to buy a flying car for no more than the price of a Corvette, in my opinion, given the economies of a mass production assembly line. Any new Flying Car would be much easier to take off and land than any present day light plane because of all the advances made in aerodynamics and electronic controls. Navigation is vastly improved too, with GPS...the same system used to negotiate city streets would get you safely from city to city. Doesn't all that wet your appetite?

As with all dream projects, its in the financing more than the technicalities. The technology is there, only the will and the money. As long as we flush our money down the tubes, we will never see the 21st Century products we predicted half a century ago, in particular the flying automobile.

The Flying Car would be fueled by synthetic gasoline, derived from coal conversion to oil, another multibillion dollar government project funded by the peace dividend. Synthetic gasoline would free us from the clutches of the likes of Arab shieks, Venezuelen strong men, and Nigerian Mau-Mau. Think about it, then petition your Congressmen to get the President to change his tune or call for his impeachment and removal before the disgruntled generals do the Coup D'etat. Our tax money is needed for critical commercial projects, not deadly war games.

Reply to
Nomen Nescio

That would be the Mizar, and it was a Cessna Mixmaster with its front lopped off and tacked on to a Pinto. Crashed and killed the builder.

The slightly nutty and extremely intransigent but quite bright Molt Taylor did a better job on the Aerocar.

Suggest you need a purpose built car, one, and a single engine for both. Mopar does not offer a suitable engine today although the New hemi might work in a pinch. An all aluminum V8 would be better. You will also want to use a heavy Gilmer belt drive and have the prop close to the engine as much as practicable. Taylor used a long driveshaft, a Dodge coupling (no relation to Mopar-a different company) and a piece of shit Lycoming which gave no end of trouble in the automotive mode.

Reply to
Bret Ludwig

most people can not even drive a car safely, and you want them to fly a plane???

Reply to
Tom

Please give us your source for you opinion that makes you believe our war against radical Islamic terrorist is Constitutionally illegal or undeclared.

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

He FEELS it.. Mike, its FEELINGS!

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Wanna bet? I must have hit a nerve... heh!

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Wow, please explain this, this sentence does does not make sense.

Reply to
Frank from Deeetroit

'nuff said!

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

I remember reading that an early, and very brief experiment was fueling an internal combustion engine with gunpowder. Coal dust would probably be an acceptable substitute. Emissions might be an issue, though.

Web Site:

David Starr

GM had an experimental engine back in the late '70s that received lump coal into a hopper and fed it to an onboard pulverize that turned the coal to dust, where it was injected into an engine and burned as if it were gasoline. Interest wasn't very high outside of R&D engineering, since it was believed back then that the world's petroleum reserves would last for 100s of years (they'd always find more).

Reply to
Sharon K. Cooke

You could always power a steam turbine with coal. They used to do that (Stanley Steamer - but I don't think it was a turbine), but it took a while to get the engine going.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff