98 Crown Vic Coolant Sensor Location

I'm trying to locate the coolant sensor on a 98 crown vic 4.6L interceptor. My best guess is that it is under the front of the intake on the drivers side. Can someone please confirm this? I'd hate to start tearing into this and find out it is located elsewhere or that it has dual sensors...

The problem with the car is that the fan sporatically runs, then shuts off even when very hot. It looks like the ECT sensor wire may have come into contact with the exhaust manifold. The wire loom is melted and a closer inspection revealed damage to the shielding of the wire. At least this is where I am going to start in solving this problem...

Thanks in advance for your advice and help!

Reply to
Jeffster

iirc both temp sensors are at the front of the engine on top. but its been a while.....can you follow the burnt wire to see where it goes and repair as necessary?

Reply to
ShoeSalesman

Thanks for your response ShoeSalesman.

The burnt wire leads to what appears to be a standard cooling sensor. However, the view I have is obstructed by the intake manifold. This sensor appears to thread directly into the intake side of the driver side head, and it is just beneath and behind the thermostat housing.

just the burnt one in question?

Reply to
Jeffster

the AC(possibly not *right* away because it most likely reads high side pressure not just the air being on) so, Its not likely that you have a sensor problem causing the fan problem. I would check the fan operation with the air on to see if its more consistent. I would also swap out the fan relay with another in the box to confirm its not bad. Keep in mind it could be because of that wire of coarse---so, of coarse fix it or atleast check the burned area closely (no shorts or opens in the wire). I think you will have a sensor for the ECM and one for the gauge. So, yes, 2 of them. I don't think it will be the ECM's sensor or you would get a check engine light. Oh, and not the gauge's sensor either. My best guess would be a bad connection, relay, or even the fan motor. Wiggling wires is always and easy thing to do to try to find a bad connection. OK I looked in my 97 book and yes the only thing that controls the fan is the ecm, it simply grounds the relays coil to close the connection fron the fuse to the fan motor. The fuse and relay are under the hood in the fuse box. 50A fuse. you need to figure out if its the ECM/wiring or the fan/wiring first...good luck

Reply to
ShoeSalesman

When the Crown Vic overheated, I checked to see if the fan would come on with the Air or Defrost on. It would not. I replaced the ECT sensor and put in a new thermostat just to be safe. The fan now appears to operate normally.

I did not expect the sensor to solve the problem. Why a bad ECT sensor would prohibit the fan from coming on when air conditioning or defrost is on is beyond my knowledge of wiring. I did order a Ford repair manual so I could learn more about this and be better prepared for my next project.

That burnt wire I referenced actually leads to the oil filter housing. I'm assuming it is a oil pressure sensor. The wire has not completely severed, so I will tackle this project next.

Thanks aga> Jeffster wrote:

Reply to
Jeffster