98 Taurus 3.0 single cam missing after burned plug

Had a bit of a mishap on a rather long drive from Montana to Mich. #4 plug vibrated lose, burned the electrode off and obviously the engine began running like crap. Checked the engine, found and replaced the plug, still missing. Test of coil pack showed it was bad, so replaced it, other cylinders (1 and 4 were missing in diag) 1 is now firing fine, but 4 still has a miss. Any thoughts. New wires and plugs (before leaving trip) i replaced all plugs when I replaced the coil pack. Wires check out with about 6000 ohms resistance. Could I have screwed up a valve in #4 when plug burned up? Check engine light flashing once car is hot. any help appreciated.

Reply to
photog

I don't know what you mean by the electrode was burned off, but I can't help but wonder if there are parts of the electrode still in the cylinder. I really doubt the parts messed up the valves. But, if there are parts in the cylinder, something may have been messed up, like the cylinder walls, piston rings or piston.

1) Don't drive the car until you know what is wrong and it is fixed. When the check engine light is flashing, that means fix it now or serious engine damage could result. 2) If the check engine light is lit (or flashing), there are OBDII codes that you can download. After you have it towed to the mechanic, have the mechanic download the codes. This should give you a lot of clues about what is going on.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

On Aug 22, 10:23 pm, Jeff wrote: I really doubt the parts messed up the valves. But, if there

I'm GUESSING that parts of the spark plug are sitting between the valve and the valve seat and not allowing the valve to close. If there's spark you might want to do a compression test.

Reply to
Kruse

Thanks, As far as the codes Jeff, I did do the OBD diags on it and it was missing in cylinders 1 and 4 - no other codes. Next was as Kruse suggests, check the compression to see if I have leaking or blow-by.

Reply to
photog