bad ignition coil pack?

I finally got my 93 Ford Escort to crank but not start. It is getting gas. I just bought and put in new plugs and wires. The engine was still cranking but not starting. We pulled out all of the wires and tested them and they were getting a spark except for the first plug which was getting no spark at all. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas. I was looking up some things and it sounds like it could be a bad ignition coil pack. I don't have the $$ to blindly replace things I dont have to but with just the one plug not firing I was hoping it would narrow down the symptoms enough to find the problem

Thanks for your time if you have a reply. And even if you dont reply thanks for taking the time to read and mybe the replies can help you.

Reply to
RedWingFan

Try swapping the wires on plugs #1 & #2 at the coil pack (I know the shorter wire won't reach the #1 plug) and test for spark on #1 once again. Even though they're new wires, it's possible that the new #1 wire is defective, or had a bad connection where it plugged into the coil pack.

Next time you crank the engine, hold the gas pedal to the floor to shut off the fuel supply and keep from flooding the engine and fouling the plugs. Do this to clear the engine whenever it doesn't start up right away and you've cranked it too long.

The engine should have run (poorly) even with only 3 cylinders firing. Check that the timing belt hasn't jumped a notch if you fix the #1 spark problem and it still doesn't run.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Bailin

I will try that. If it still has no spark, is it the coil or not? Should it start even on 3 plugs but run rough?

I know this sounds silly but how would I know if the timing belt slipped a notch?

Reply to
RedWingFan

If it still has no spark, I'd suspect it's a bad coil. The engine should run badly on 3 cylinders, but you've probably flooded it as mentioned before.

Checking for belt slippage is a pain. It involves removing the timing belt covers, turning the crankshaft by hand with a socket wrench to line up the mark on the crankshaft pulley and the mark on the camshaft gear with the corresponding marks on the engine block. It's explained in detail in the shop manuals (ford or aftermarket). If the marks don't line up where they should, it means the belt has slipped a notch or more, and the belt must be replaced, usually along with the belt tensioner and water pump if you're due.

But you could get lucky, replace the coil and have everything work once again.

Reply to
Bob Bailin