99' Windstar problems...

I have 2 problems at the present time with my van.

1st: When I am parking and turning the steering wheel the engine spikes about 500 RPM with each turn of the wheel. I have to make sure my foot is firmly on the brake pedal.

2nd: When coasting to a stop or in traffic, the trany occasionally has rough down shift. This happens a bought once or twice a month. The dealer shop foreman says it's a normal trait with my vehicle and this particular trany.

While I have your attention here is one more. When parked on an incline, on a very small grade (I don't use the parking brake) when you take it out of park there is a large clunk sound. Dealer says I have to use the parking brake all the time, no other way around the problem. In the early morning hours on a quiet street it makes quite a racket.

These are a few of my problems at this time. Any of the groups expert advice or recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks, Al

Reply to
alpost

By turning the steering wheel you are putting a load on the engine, the engine computer is just compensating for the load, normal. But just in case have your mechanic make sure the ball sockets of the steering system are not binding which will cause a higher load than should be.

Have your mechanic check out this TSB. Also, this transmission is known to have what some people call a rough or harsh 2-1 down shift, about 10 to 5 mph. It is normal and can not be fixed. Article No.

99-18-4

Again, depending on the noise, normal. I'll assume the noise is the sound of the parking pawl releasing from it's gear. It is under a great amount of tension and requires a lot of force to disengage when the weight of the vehicle is on it.By Appling the parking brake before you put it in park, you relieve that tension.It happens on any vehicle, not just Windstars.

Reply to
Thomas Moats