Advice on exhuast gasket replacement

I recently found out that my exhuasst gasket is leaking and making that hi pitched popping sound. Has anyone experience in replacing in a F-100 1976 truck? any thing I should be worried about? I spoke with an auto guy and he said to soak the bolts for a week before attemping to take them off, so as to lessen the chance of them breaking off. Any advice helpful Thanks

Reply to
dude

soaking them wont hurt....I think you will find that the manifold is warped and this will at least make it very hard to reinstall(the holes wont line up with the head holes). Give it a try but look into a new manifold too. If its available it wont be very expensive and well worth it when its reinstalled. There is also the chance that your old one is cracked, so the only fix is a new one.

Reply to
ShoeSalesman