Older keyless entry question

Hello all:

The keyless entry system on my beloved '82 Mark VI has bitten the dust. Pressing keys on the keypad does nothing, no lights, the doors don't lock when it's shifted through reverse, anything. I've pulled my hair out with the original service manual trying to fix it; I bought a replacement from Lincoln Land and it doesn't work either- I'm not certain if the problem is in the car or if I got a bad (used) module.

Here's the question: the keyless entry module had the part number 14B001 through the '80s and into the '90s. The keyless entry on my "97 Marquis works exactly the same as the '82 (enter the five digit code, hit the middle key to unlock all doors, the next key for the trunk, etc). I'm sure the connectors may be different, but electrically, would these be the same? I would be really great to retro-fit a newer module into the car, and be able to use a remote with it.

Any ideas welcome.

Chris

PS- I hope this guy from Boeing can reverse the slide. And heaven help 'em if 2007 is the last Town Car.

Reply to
Chris Nagorka