Aligning a 1990 Ford Escort to 1991-96 specs

Can someone riddle me this...

I had my car aligned today at a shop, it was a little better, but still a little off, which could be for many reasons other than the alignment.

But, I took a look tonight at the report the manager gave me, the specifications indicate that the technician used the specs for a

1991-96 Ford Escort. I did tell them what year car I have before they started.

So onto my question, is the aligning equipment influenced by the specifications that the technician pulls up, or are they just pulled up for a point of reference?

If they are pulled up as a point of reference, can I safely assume that the aligning equipment is used in such a manner that is independent of the specifications, that the equipment works off of the position off of the wheels on the car to get the best possible alignment, and not some settings in a computer?

Would the technician make incorrect adjustments based on the wrong specs, or again, work off of the positions of the wheels to get the best alignment possible?

If so, should they align the car again using the 1990 specs, or does it not matter because the tech would have already tried to get the best alignment possible?

I know I am repeating myself with these questions but the answers I get will determine whether or not I spend anytime following up with the shop, and I don't want to waste my time needlessly.

I am concerned because I don't know anything about wheel alignment equipment but I do know that the 1990 is a Detroit car (1st gen) and the 1991 is a Mazda car (2nd gen), possibly a big difference in the wheel alignment specs based on the frames and drivetrain.

Thanks, Matt

Reply to
sleepdog

So I went to the shop and the manager said they used that year because they (probably?) didn't have the specs for a 1990.

Can anyone familiar enough with alignment equipment shed some light on this? If this is true all the better.

Thanks, Matt

Reply to
sleepdog