Hi. The "Amp" light in my 84 Lincoln Continental stays on all the
time and I have no idea why. It doesn't sound like the alternator
because my battery doesn't die. Plus, I've had the alternator
replaced in the past only to have the light stay on afterwards. I
also know the battery is getting charged because the voltage across
the battery is approx. 14.4V when the car is running. I'm stumped on
this. Any suggestions?
I'm a newbie here, so not sure if anyone can help or if it's the place to
ask such questions:
I have a servo/motor type gadget on the end of the accelerator cable to
adjust the idle. It doesn't seem to respond quickly enough when decelerating
and coming to a stop, and the engine just wants to Rev on for a while until
the servo/motor pin lowers. I've disconnected it in the mean time, but the
engine tends to cut out when not warm and even then on occasion.
Any ideas how to fix this problem?
It's probably the voltage regulator (VR). Check the connections at the
VR for corrosion; there is a wire in this harness that feeds the
alternator idiot light, and if it's corroded, the light will stay on. If
connections are clean, it could still be the VR and it should be
replaced. Use genuine Ford/MotorCraft replacement for best results.
Motorsforum.com is a website by car enthusiasts for car enthusiasts. It is not affiliated with any of the car or spare part manufacturers or car dealers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.