Anti freeze renewal help

I want to change the anti freeze in my 93 for escort 1.4 single point injection.

I only have a resevoir tank to top up, how can I get some of the water out as just to top up with anti freeze, I have no filler cap on top of the radiater.

Whats the easiest way, if i top up the resevoir with anti freeze will this mix with the rest of the water in my radiater and block. Sorry if this sounds trivial Im just worried that my engine will crack if i dont do the anti freeze in this bad weather.

Thanks.

Reply to
stephen morgan

If you dont know when it was done last, best to also flush the system

Make sure you use an approved flushing agent.

The system neednt be drained, alll the way, but flush with regular water then the chemical, then water again.

There should be a drain fitting at bottom of the radiator tank..

Are you SURE there's no way to fill the system directly? Opposed to 'topping off', Filling it MUST be done directly...I dont know UK models, of course.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Reply to
stephen morgan

Hiya,

Turn your heater setting to hot. Take the cap off the reservoir tank, take off the bottom radiator hose at one end, the radiator tanks are only plastic so be careful, they break easily if they're a few years old so try and remove the hose from the engine end. Let it drain, (usually over your feet) Replace the hose and refill with water and a cooling system flush. Yep, it does fill thru' the reservoir tank. Run it up 'till warm and drain again. (or as advised on the flush you're using) Put in your anti-freeze, a couple of litres should be enough depending on where you are, and top up with water. Run the engine for a few minutes and top up as required then replace the reservoir cap and run until warm. Make sure your heater gives you warm air. Check the bottom hose for leaks (keep your fingers out of the radiator fan!) Let it cool and check the reservoir level.

pottsy

Heh... yet again, misread reservoir for overflow/degas bottle.

rule: IF it's pressurized, you fill from there, if not pressurized in normal running circumstances, it's 'topping off' only.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

eeeeh I don't know, you lot out there in the colonies having different words for similar things, it only confuses us ya know!!

have a happy new year man (and everybody else)

pottsy

Damn, I think I better get a garage to do this, i dont feel confident enough, hope the weather does not get any worse

thanks for the help guys

Reply to
stephen morgan

So it does fill from the resevoir tank ???

Reply to
stephen morgan

And keep your pets away. ONE DROP of antifreeze will kill most pets, and some of them like the taste of it.

Reply to
myself

Go to a parts store and buy an anti-freeze tester. They cost about $2 (US). All you got to do is suck a little antifreeze out of the reservoir and watch the little needle (or balls if you get that kind). It will tell you the coldest temperature you can handle without freezing.

I never heard of a radiator without a cap, but anything is possible, especially in other parts of the world. However, on the bottom of the radiator there should be a drain that you turn. If your antifreeze is weak, drain out a gallon or so, and add a gallon of straight antifreeze. I agree you should change it, but just protect the car for now, if it's that cold outside, an do your flush and antifr... change when the weather is better. You will have to buy an extra gallon of antifr... but that sure beats an engine damaged from freezing.

Isnt there a

Reply to
myself

Thanks for all your help guys, im going to top up with antifeeze and leave it till the weather gets better

thanks

Reply to
stephen morgan