Antifreeze Change

I recently changed the antifreeze and back flushed the radiator/heater core etc.

The radiator specs were 7.2 qts. So, I added 4 qts antifreeze and topped off with water. I drove the truck for a few miles, and then topped off again with water. I drove a few more miles and everything seemed ok. Once the engine cooled off, I checked the antifreeze levels and I have roughly a 50/50 coolant to water. More than maximum protection!

Will this higher concentration of antifreeze cause any problems?

Reply to
dont_pick_up_the_phone
50/50 is just right

Reply to
Scott M

Next time, mix the antifreeze and water BEFORE adding them to the radiator,

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

When I drain the radiator after flushing, I can never add much more than about half the total coolant capacity due to residual water left in the block. I always add 100% coolant to get to the ideal 50/50 mix. If you can't remove ALL the water before adding a 50/50 mix, you'll wind up with less than adequate protection; probably closer to 30/70 coolant to water. dont_pick_up_the_phone did it exactly right. 56% mixture is just fine. Stan K.

Reply to
Stan Kasperski

We often use as high as 70/30 in northern canada. (70/30 is protection to -64c iirc). after 70%, the freezing point starts to rise again.

Reply to
Teknical

Mixing before adding to the system is difficult to do unless you're able to remove "all" water from the back flush. I don't know of an easy way to accomplish removing "all" the water. Maybe some one can provide a method. However, if one can't remove "all" the water the method in the first post is the right way to make the change. The important part was the "check to see the protection level," with out the check one would never know if the mixture ratio of antifreeze to water was correct. It's also best not to use water that has a high mineral content.

Reply to
Bill

-- The block has a drain to let out the water. On most vehicles it is just a bolt or a threaded plug. BUT- It's usually rusted in pretty well and bettter left alone. It's also not necessasrily in a place where it's easily accessible.

Every day is a good day- it's just that some are better than others.

Reply to
max-income

Or Every day is a good day, when you can fog a mirror.

Reply to
Bill

Can anyone tell me what the volume/op capacity of an '85 Cougar rad is?

snipped-for-privacy@telus.net

Reply to
Wolfman

"Wolfman" wrote

Maybe 2 or 3 litres at the most.

If you're talking about the entire cooling system, and not just the rad :), then about 10 quarts for the 2.3 4-cyl, 11.8 for the 3.8 V6, and 14.2 for the 5.0 V8. I'm assuming that's in US quarts, so that would be 9.4, 11.1 and 13.4 litres.

Reply to
MasterBlaster