anyone got experience on the spark plug blowout on the triton engine??

this is a 4.6, but the 5.4 has the same problem.

i've seen the fix it kits but question them. of course, ford wants an arm and a leg to do this job and what's the chances of another blow out from happening down the road? also, is there a particular cylinger that tends to blowout or is it at random?

just wonder what are some of the group's experiences with this kind of defect?

is there any recall or service bulletins on this?

thanks,

~ curtis

knowledge is power - growing old is mandatory - growing wise is optional "Many more men die with prostate cancer than of it. Growing old is invariably fatal. Prostate cancer is only sometimes so."

c palmer

clare

No problems with my 5.4L Triton engine. Runs fantastic, better than new.

200,000 miles on it.

Just normal maintenance.... (I use E3 spark plugs)

Reply to
75yrs.experience

2-valve engine or 3-valve engine?
Reply to
SRN

I thought I had read that the Spark Plug blow-outs were problems on the

5.4L Triton, not the 4.6... Anyways, I too have not had any issues on my 199 4.6L Triton, regarding blow-out. Have 118k miles on it. I actually *did* have issues about 5K after replacing the plugs the first time at about 90K miles. Started running rough, check engine light came on, then started actually flashing. Talked to my bro-in-law mechanic and told me to immediately go spend the $$ and get motorcraft plugs, and take the autolites I had put in and throw them in the garbage, and that the autolites specified do not get hot enough and are not right for the engine, despite what any book at an auto-store tells you. When I really looked at them you can see such a design difference between the plugs. Autolites were thick and heavy, while the motorcrafts were thinner and more delicate looking. You'd think that the autolites were a heavy duty and better by looking at them, but alas - they were pieces of crap...at least for my truck. One actually even felt like it had loosened up in the cyl.

Anyway, put the motorcrafts in and the truck ran like new and havn't had a problem since.

Reply to
IYM