Pulsating brakes 98 Grand Marquis

Not sure why, but I notice a lot of vibration in the front passesnger side and pulsation when I brake. The rotors have never been turned or replaced, 110,000 miles. If I replace them, will that take care of the problem?

Reply to
finiteguy

yes

Reply to
Rob

your abs is mal fuctioning. the little eye that reads the rotor speed is either dirty or needs to be replaced. changing the rotor won't help in this situation

Reply to
79ford

finiteguy wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

If the problem started as slight vibe and steadily gets worse, rotors!

DO NOT TURN them... not worth the hassle. Change the pads while you are at it... even if plenty meat left. DO NOT buy cheap pads OR 90 day guarantee rotors.

There are also cases when the rotor is NOT actually warped, but casting or alloy/blend imperfections causes an eventual thick spot.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

This car doesn't have ABS. Not sure why, but it was the 98 Grand Marquis GS and didn't come with it.

Reply to
finiteguy

check the wheel bearing assy and you will find that it has play in it. jack the wheel off the ground and see if there is any play in the wheel when you grab it at the 12 and 6 o'clock position and shake it for looseness.

starting in 98, the wheel bearing assy comes as a unit and usually have to be replaced around 100k.

i've got two CV's and at 98K both sides had to be replaced. the other one is starting the show signs of looseness at 97K. it takes about 10

- 15 minutes to replace the whole unit. cost - 55 to 65 dollars per side. you get the center assy and pressed in bearings are a unit.

hope this info helps.

~ curtis

knowledge is power - growing old is mandatory - growing wise is optional "Many more men die with prostate cancer than of it. Growing old is invariably fatal. Prostate cancer is only sometimes so."

c palmer

This means that I need new wheel bears and rotors, or is the pulsating brakes from bad wheel bearings?

This car has cost me a fortune in front end parts. Just replaced ball joints and tie rods, and the spark plug coils are bad.

Very dissapointed in this car.

Reply to
finiteguy

go to autozone and have them look up the part for the wheel bearing and show it to you. you will see that the bearings are made into the center hub assy. they are not a take a part and service type bearing, but a sealed bearing unit.

these will wear out and cause the whole wheel to have a shake to it as ou drive as well as stopping.

now, if you are talking about a shudder only when you hit the brakes, then you have rotors that are out of lateral.

this is caused by the manufacturing of the rotor itself and the hardness of the metal varies so it doesn't wear at the same rate. as a result causes uneven spots on the rotors and when they rub over the brake pads will translate into a rapid pulsing of brake pedal as the car stops. you can take them off, take them to a machine shop and have them put a peen finish on them, but because it is metal itself, the condition will come back over time as the rotors wear. replacement of the rotor will usually get rid of this problem.

if you do the work yourself, it won't cost a bundle.

hope this helps.

~ curtis

knowledge is power - growing old is mandatory - growing wise is optional "Many more men die with prostate cancer than of it. Growing old is invariably fatal. Prostate cancer is only sometimes so."

c palmer

I get a lot of vibration driving on the highway and when I brake I get pulsing. I also get a ticking noise from the left front wheel and I thought this was a broken hub cap. Does it reqiure special tools to replace wheel bearings? I don't have good tools and if I have to take the brakes apart to do this then forget it, I will pay to have someone do it.

Reply to
finiteguy

the wheel bearings are pressed into the center assy and comes as a unit. so you don't replace the wheel bearings by themselves, as in the older years.

that is why i said that you need to go to autozone or your local parts store and see what you are up against and make your decision on what you see and in talking with the parts person.