Bad battery or????? Strange electrical adventure

Coke is mildly acidic (phosphoric acid) but is also a "soda" - which by common definition is an alkali - so which one wins out???

Reply to
clare

battery.....?

Soda is not an alkali - it's carbonated water -- an acid like phosphoric = acid. I put baking soda on the battery terminals. It's chemical name is = sodium bicarbonate, a buffer that neutralizes both acids and bases.

Reply to
Guv Bob

I always buy a minimum of a 60 month battery. AZ is off my list now, 3yr free replacement then it's pro rated. Last failed battery they wanted over half the battery cost on the pro rate to replace it. And that was a replacement battery for a previous failed battery.

Reply to
repairman54

I put baking soda on the battery terminals. It's chemical name is sodium bicarbonate, a buffer that neutralizes both acids and bases.

I pour Coca Cola on my battery, let it sit for about 15 minutes then hose it off. I never have any corrosion (green crap) on my battery. Never have any problems with my battery.....

You use baking soda, and you have problems.....

Reply to
75yrs.experience

Thanks for the feedback.

Reply to
F.H.

I'd MUCH rather have a good battery with a one year warranty than a piece of crap with a 5 year warranty. The warranty is usually more hassle than it's worth - particularly when the battery it is attached to fails 6 times in 5 years.

Reply to
clare

I put baking soda on the battery terminals. It's chemical name is sodium bicarbonate, a buffer that neutralizes both acids and bases.

Bicarbonate of soda IS an alkali (otherwise known as a base) although a mild one, with a pH of roughly 8.0 - which buffers acids. It raises the pH of whatever you add it to if the pH is lower than 8.0

Reply to
clare

Previous Die Hard in a different vehicle lasted me 9 yrs, it was a 60 month battery. I've always had batteries well exceed the warranty period. Only time I buy a cheap one is when I have to put one in a vehicle that's on it's way out.

Reply to
repairman54

I had 3 premium Canadian Tire batteries fail in 3 years. 5 year warranty. Never bought another one. Never will.

Reply to
clare

corrosion will

loosening=20

phosphoric acid. I put baking soda on the battery terminals. It's = chemical name is sodium bicarbonate, a buffer that neutralizes both = acids and bases.

That's good to know. What kind of problems?

Reply to
Guv Bob

loosening=20

phosphoric acid. I put baking soda on the battery terminals. It's = chemical name is sodium bicarbonate, a buffer that neutralizes both = acids and bases.

Yes, I guess I misunderstood you. When you said soda, I thought you = were talking about carbonated water.

Reply to
Guv Bob

When my 92 Explorer was new and up thru maybe the first couple years it did exactly the sort of thing you are describing. I was never able to figure out the cause. It did exactly the same thing while I was parking at a store as yours did. When it would go dead like that it only lasted for anywhere from maybe 10 seconds to a minute or two at most. I can only assume it was the battery since it more or less went away after the original battery had been replaced but it didn't happen often enough to specifically see it stop right at the time the battery was replaced.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

First thought: Battery cable connections. You can buy one of those cheap tools that burnish the terminals and wire brush the inside of the connectors and they work just fine.

Take them off, use the tool, clamp them down (don't overdo it) and see if that helps.

Ken

Reply to
KWS

Sorry...should have read the thread first before giving simplistic information.

Reply to
KWS