1992 Buick ParkAve Magnavox Ignition Question

Hello all,

I just acquired a 1992 Buick Park Avenue (beautiful car, great conditon, interior in amazing shape) with about 140K on it.

Original 3800 motor, trans and all.

Outside a couple blown fuses and brakes, this is a great car.

In the first week, however, a miss has developed.

Finally figured out which cylinder it was, and have determined the injector to be good, the wires and plugs to be good, just no spark from the coil/ignition module.

this thing, unlike the three other 3.8's I own, has the Magnavox (pronounced 'maggots-in-a-box' to all us old electronics sales/repairmen) ignition system instead of the three coil Delco system.

Only one of the six is not firing. I know nothing about this ignition system. Is it more than likely just the coil, not the ignition module, or both? Is it even possible to replace just the coil and not the module?

Any help is appreciated. I really want to do this as cheaply as possible. I only gave $500 for the car, but couldn't pass this one up.

Thanks in advance for all your help (which you guys always are!)

BigBob

Reply to
BigBob

You can replace the "coil pack module", p/n 12353801, for about $125. You never mentioned which one of the six isn't firing. However, start by checking the resistance of the secondary coils by sticking a meter between plug wire terminals 3 and 6, then 5 and 2 and finally 1 and 4.

Cylinder number are left to right when looking at the front of the car: Front bank: 1-3-5 Rear Bank: 2-4-6

...and the coil pack is like this:

3 6 5 2 1 4

Oh, and check the plug wires, you never mentioned if you checked that or not.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Mackie

Reply to
Shep

I've got conflicting info Shep. I've got two seperate part numbers for the coil pack unit and the control module. I can see the Magnovox type is a one piece coil, not like the typical three coil set up. But anyway, ACDelco, ALLData and Mitchell all show different parts available to be purchased seperately. ACDelco has nice pictures too.

But, I'm not speaking from experience, just what I'm reading.

Steve

ACDelco Reference:

D552 COIL,IGN First Design USED W/MAGNAVOX COIL PACK P/N 25535952)(STAMPED

25526450 GASKET,ELEK ICM First Design COIL & MODULE)(C3I)(USED W/MAGNAVOXCOIL PACK P/N 25535952)(STAMPED)(NO COMPARABLE 2ND DES

D1922A MODULE,ELEK IGN CONT(W/O COIL) ALL MAKES USED WITH MAGNAVOX COIL PACK P/N 25535952(STAMPED) USED WITH GASKET KIT 25526450.

Reply to
Steve Mackie

"Steve Mackie" wrote in news:56p7f.113644$ snipped-for-privacy@ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca:

Cylinder #5 is not firing. When checking resistance between plug terminals, exactly what am I looking for? Will there be a substantial difference in the resistance rating in a good/bad coil?

Tested with known and unknown quantities. Plug wires are fine.

Thanks for all your help!

BigBob

Reply to
BigBob

i believe what he's getting at is if there's a failure in just one plug, & it's the coil, then the resistance between those two wires (which fire at the same time btw - just another tidbit of info) would be very high, if any conductivity at all exists. in other words, a broken connection. however, if you're showing anywhere near the same resistance between all three pairs, then i don't know where the problem is unless it's just somehow grounding out. if you've got an oscilloscope, you could check to see if the ignition pulse is even making it to the coil in the first place.

Reply to
superchuckles