Battery light on Taurus

The battery light has started flickering on on my Taurus, a 99 with 140k miles. One would assume it's the alternator but, might it be the corroded battery terminals? If the alternator is going, is there an alternator repair kit available for it?

Reply to
Moses

If it were the battery terminals it would be more likely effect the starting of the car. With the flickering I would check the wires on the alternater for any loose connections and if it is the alternator remove it, take it to Auto Zone let them check it. Unless you have the proper tool to work on alternators forget the kit and buy one.

Reply to
Ripcord

A flickering battry light is an early warning of imminent failure of the alternator in most cases. 140k miles is about the average of my Ford's alternators failing over the years. Many parts stores do free testing of the starting/charging system in hopes you buy the replacement parts from them.

Good luck

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

Let me throw in my fifty cents here: jump on his NOW! You're getting the courtesy of a warning before it fails.... which will happen at the most inopportune moment possible. It's the law.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

You CAN replace ford brushes. You can also replace the regulator - but my experience has been that sometimes eventhough the brushes are bad, even replacing the brushes and regulator doesn't fix it. Then again, the first 2 rebuilt alternators I got for my FORD were no good either. I ended up getting an "experienced" one from the wreckers.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

corrosion and poor connections can cause your problem - remove wires and connecors one by one clean them with a wire brush or sand paper reattatch and see if that works,

If not check to make sure your belt tensioner is good I have replaced a lot of them on fords! and belt is good!

Once the connections are good and belt is snug if problem still occurs replace the alternator.

Reply to
Chazg32

That is exactly the right mileage for brushes to wear out.

they are cheap at napa and it isnt hard to do if it's like early-mid 90's

Read down... I republished the refurb directions

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

First, thanks to all with helpful information!

I fixed the alternator and learned some things too. The Haynes book was wrong again. You can't get the belt off with a 15mm wrench. You need a special tensioner wrench because of the limited space, and it's 16mm. I bought brushes in holder for $13 something. Once the alternator is out brush replacement is easy. However, one brush was worn way down and the brass rotor is badly scored. My advice for others keeping an older car going on a budget is this: At about 100k miles, replace the brushes as preventative maintenance. If your car is like mine you need to invest $22.00 in a tensioner pully wrench.

Moses wrote:

Reply to
Moses