BEST BATTERY?

I could sure use some good advice on which CAR BATTERY will give good service and last a long time.

For some reason I always seem to buy one that loses its charge after a year or two -- even when they are 72 month batteries! (I'd like one that I can use electronics with, like a CD Player, DVD player, Laptop, etc. and which will keep its charge reasonably well.)

Part of the problem is that we have a limited number of brands available in our local stores. But if I can get some good, credible advice on choosing a good brand, I may even send away for one.

(BTW, I did check Consumer Reports... but the brand they most raved about isn't available here in Southern California... only far up north.) And the others don't look all that great considering the cost. (Oh, yes, I'd prefer to pay less than $85 or so if possible.)

Thanks for your opinions, (especially if they are based on your own experience, LOL)

Polk

Reply to
Polk

I just go to Wal-Mart and buy the 850 CCA Group 65 battery made by Johnson Controls. The warrantee is 84 months AND the first 36 months are NOT pro-rated, so it's like a free battery if something goes wrong. For $60, it's hard to beat, and Wal-Marts are everywhere.

Reply to
Sharon K.Cooke

If your doing a lot of electronics, look at a round plate Orbital or any of its siblings. They are more like a deep cycle battery. Its going to cost you 2 to 3 times more too.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Urz

I'm with Sharon - Wal-Mart. I have been very pleased with every one I ever put in a car (6 or 7 now, if you count friends and relatives. Also, if you are in Timbuk-too and it dies, there's always a Wal-Mart. PoD

Reply to
Paul of Dayton

I just go to Wal-Mart and buy the 850 CCA Group 65 battery made by Johnson Controls. The warrantee is 84 months AND the first 36 months are NOT pro-rated, so it's like a free battery if something goes wrong. For $60, it's hard to beat, and Wal-Marts are everywhere. ========

i agree 100% with sharon. in fact, i had a walmart battery go dead as a door nail. put it on a charger for a day and not that first sign of life.

i couldn't find the receipt - major problem.

so, i went back to the walmart and they said that they would check the manufacturing date and if it was under the 3 year time frame - i would get a free replacement. it was 33 months and i walked out with a fresh battery again at no charge, no hassles.

~ curtis

knowledge is power - growing old is mandatory - growing wise is optional "Many more men die with prostate cancer than of it. Growing old is invariably fatal. Prostate cancer is only sometimes so."

c palmer

I did the same thing at walmart, guy came out to the car (parked outside automotive) and checked the date on mine.. said it was fine and I could exchange it.. after removing it from the car (a decent job, with a dual battery setup), I took it to the service desk and they changed their mind, wouldn't take it back anymore. Needless to say I left the store without that useless battery, the automotive guy that told me to bring it in had to dodge it on my way out.

Reply to
Dark1

Spike

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior; Vintage 40 16" rims w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A gForce Radial 225/50ZR16 KDWS skins; surround sound audio-video.

"When the time comes to lay down my life for my country, I do not cower from this responsibility. I welcome it." -JFK Inaugural Address

Reply to
Spike

The best is the cheapest. There are only a few companies that make batteries so everyone just sell the same thing with a different lable. The cheapest will start your car just fine. The high current capacity batterys have more/larger plates and longer "gaurentees" but are more likely to fail just due to the more to go wrong theory.

The "gaurentees" are not worth anything. It is pro rated to full list price, and battries are always on sale, at half price. So it is cheaper to buy new than return gaurentee.

Reply to
Kent_Diego

Spike wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

In the last 30 years, I NEVER had had a problem with batteries failing in less than 3 years...EXCEPT for Diehards..

I wrote them off soon after they came out when a cell failed on a 6 month old..and Sears would take it back because it passed the load test... kid you not!

Since then, I've only had them because they came in the car, and my experience is they are in the "Fram" and "Pennzoil" category.

I Only buy Walmart -NO Problems!

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Spike

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior; Vintage 40 16" rims w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A gForce Radial 225/50ZR16 KDWS skins; surround sound audio-video.

"When the time comes to lay down my life for my country, I do not cower from this responsibility. I welcome it." -JFK Inaugural Address

Reply to
Spike

It goes without saying that Sears batteries have a pretty good reputation--arguably the best reputation, and as far back as I can remember. Whale-Mart (speaking of stellar reputations) puts out the usual cheapo which, with any luck, you'll actually get a few years out of, and be happy with that since it was, after all, "just a cheapo." And that's the mentality of the Whale-Mart shopper: "It's cheap--that's all _I_ know."

It would be impossible for me to describe my distress over "The Driving Force Behind Outsourcing," other than possibly to say that my distress over the sheeple who shop there, oblivious to what they're doing to the world economy, rivals it.

They say people get the government they deserve. Well guess what, people: Wal Mart IS your government.

A famous person once said, "Give me control of the world's money, and I care not who rules." Of the ten richest people on the planet, five of them are Waltons. They didn't get there by being nicey-nice guys.

This is a _GREAT_ read (although Whale Mart is such a pariah there's a million others):

Oh, yeah...don't shop at Whale Mart. Thank you, and have a nice day.

Reply to
Gomer Einstein

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Gomer Einstein) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@storefull-3276.bay.webtv.net:

Read ALL the above, including headers and most will consign this idiot's opinion to the dustbin of inaccurata!

Patently NOT true, in either case.

He would also, from the tone, admire and recommend Fram.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

There might be a catch-22 here: people who shop at Wal Mart aren't likely to read that Wal Mart link. But yes, there are countless other anti-Wal Mart articles on the web. I haven't really noticed too many FOR it, LOL

Wal Mart's been in our communty for some time now, and I never used to shop there. But now I HAVE to shop there-- --everybody does--as so many of the other stores have since closed.

I don't see any connection there.

On the contrary, it's a wonderful, beautiful thing.

I have heard more than once that Wal Mart managers in a new store are told, "Don't worry about making a profit the first two years."

IOW come in cheap, run out the competition. then raise prices.

Nah, they wouldn't do that. They care about our communities.

Reply to
James Goforth